Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Morning!” I said sleepily as I dragged myself to the chair and literally slumped into it. Sleep had been hard to come, even after taking painkillers. Every time I closed my eyes, the scene played before me, only this time I was a casual bystander, watching the whole thing.

“Someone’s sleepy..” Mai commented with a smirk. I just groaned.

“Ani? Sweetheart, are you okay?” mom said with a concerned frown. I struggled to heave myself up and sit straight.

“Yeah, just couldn’t sleep.” I said with a strained smile. Though her expression relaxed, she still looked a little bit worried.

“Morning!” Gigi chirped as she skipped into the kitchen. Mum’s frown instantly vanished as she smiled at her.

“Morning sweetheart!” she replied in the same tone, making Gigi’s smile even wider.

“Pass me the coffee, please?” I asked Mai. Her smirk widened but she passed me the mug none-the-less. “Thanks” I replied as I practically gulped it down.

“Hey, easy there!” Mai started, but I ignored her.

“Okay, I’m off to school.” I said as I stood up to get my bag.

“What about breakfast?” mum asked, looking worried.

“Not really hungry.” When she opened her mouth to argue, I shook my head at her. “Okay look, I’ll take a granola bar with me. Happy?” I asked as I made a show of picking it up. She cracked a smile.

“Yes, I am.”

“Good. See you guys!” I called as I walked out of the kitchen.

“Have a good day!” my mum called back. I shook my head as a small smile came to my face, which disappeared as soon as I stepped out on the porch.

“What are you doing here?” were the first words out of my mouth.

“Good morning Anya. How are you feeling?” Replied Mark with an amused smile. My cheeks heated up in embarrassment.

“Sorry, it’s just seeing you here like this…” I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

“It’s alright.” He said with an amused smile. I smiled back hesitantly. “Let’s do it again, shall we?” he asked. I nodded. “Good morning Anya. How are you feeling?” he repeated.

“Good morning Mark. I’m feeling better.” I answered with a smile. “Now, what are you doing here?” I asked. His smile widened.

“I’m here to pick you up for school.” He said with flourish, spreading his arms wide on both the sides.

“Uh, why?” I asked, confused. He dropped his hands, but kept the smile. Oh god, that smile! I almost stuttered at the site of it. Surely he knows what it’s doing to me? My internal monologue was interrupted when Mark spoke again.

“You were going to school, right?” he asked. I nodded, still confused. If possible, his smile widened even further. Be still, my beating heart. “Well, I’m going the same way. Thought I’d give you a ride.” I resisted the urge to point out that he lived in the opposite direction.

“Why are you really here?” I asked instead. His smile dropped a little, I ignored my disappointment at that. He thought about it before replying.

“Because I wanted to.” He simply said. I guess he must’ve caught the shocked expression on my face for he smiled again and leaned away from his car and walked towards me. I looked at him, wise-eyed as he stopped mere inches from me. I willed myself to stand still as he leaned towards me, his warm breath blowing in my ear as he spoke. I tried not to focus on his closeness to me and rather what he was saying.