Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Hey, you alright?” Hayden asked for what seemed like the hundredth time. I smiled, though I was starting to get a little annoyed.

“I’m fine Hayden. Really!” I said as I adjusted my mask. It was the annual masquerade charity gala, organized by the We The World Foundation. I rarely ever went to these functions, for the world didn’t even know I existed and I liked it that way. Today though, he was the guest of honor. It was a big deal for him. His charity concert helped raise the money needed for the new division at the school for the orphans. I was really proud of him.

“Alright, but please don’t hesitate if you do want something. They’re starting with the announcements soon, but Mr. Smith is here if you need anything.” I nodded.

“Uh, do you know where the loo is?” I asked after a few minutes.

“I’ll take you.” He said as he started steering me away from the hall.

“Hayden, stop. People will start to notice.” I said, gently extracting my hand from his grasp. His jaw tightened under his mask but he nodded and let me go.

“It’s at the end of the hall.” He pointed towards elevators, besides which a BATHROOM sign hung.

“I’ll be right back.” I murmured as I made my way towards it.

I crossed the hall as I turned and walked inside the narrow passage which led to the washrooms. I quickly slid inside the first stall and did my business; then I took off my mask and wiped my forehead that had become clammy because of the mask. I was just washing my hands when the door suddenly burst open. I turned around in shock just as the girl pushed the guy into the wall and started kissing his neck.

I gasped as his eyes snapped open. They were the clearest blue eyes I had ever seen. Deep blue, like the ocean. My jaw dropped when I realized that he was none other than Mark Ashford.

Those sea blue eyes twinkled mischievously as he looked at me. The bluest I’ve ever seen. They made you want to stare in them until you got lost. His high cheek bones and slight subtle gave him a ruggedly handsome look. His full lips were made for kissing. His hairs were sandy blonde, like Hayden but somehow they seemed a shade darker. His flawless, tanned skin only added to his charm.That very tanned skin that Miss Moaner was currently kissing with such fever. This is the heartthrob that has more than half the world pinning for him, I thought, somewhat disgusted by his actions.

He smirked when he saw the recognition on my face. I tried to school my expression as his smirk widened. I snapped my eyes from his as Miss Moaner decided to get handsy and slowly inched south. Mark stopped her exploring hands and pulled her back up as he slowly kissed her neck all the while looking at me. I shook my head in disgust as his eyebrow rose as if daring me. My eyes narrowed as my anger started to rise. His smirk turned into full blown grin and my control snapped, I spun around, grabbed my mask and clutch and darted out the door, his mocking chuckle following me.