Chapter 6

“Hey, you okay?” Lissy asked me as I took my seat next to her in History.

“Yeah, it’s nothing.” I replied. She gave me a look, but thankfully didn’t ask further.  

“Okay class!” Mr. Herald started but was interrupted when the door crashed open and in walked Mark Ashford, or rather Ashton. “You’re late, Mr…?”

“Ashton. Mark Ashton, sir. I’m new here.” He said, flashing Mr. Herald a smile. Mr. Herald, caught off guard, stuttered with his answer.

“Uh, that-that’s fine. Take a seat, and make sure it doesn’t happen next time.” He replied, somewhat flustered.  

“I’ll make sure, sir. Thanks.” And with that, he sauntered towards the only empty seat in the class, which, just so happened to be right behind me and as he passed me, we winked. HE.FREAKING.WINKED. I was so livid that I almost missed the pointed looks Lissy was giving me. I sighed. She was going to ask questions.

She didn’t even last the lecture. Halfway through, I saw a chit land on my desk. I rolled my eyes as I opened it, turning it slightly to shield it from Mark’s prying eyes.

OMG! You and the hottie?????

I sighed in exasperation as I turned around and shot her a dirty look. The pursed her lips in silent laughter. I turned it over and quickly scribbled my response, mindful of Mr. Herald.

Are you high?

I discreetly tossed it over my shoulder and then sat up straight. Feeling Mark’s eyes, I turned towards him and raised an eyebrow in question. He simply shook his head, his eyes dancing in amusement. I sighed and turned forward. A sudden laugh from behind me surprised me. I jumped in my chair and would’ve fallen off had Mark not caught me. I looked up at him, and reddened at the look he was giving me. Then I lowered my gaze to where his hand was tightly griping my bicep.

“Let me go.” I said in a low voice. He simply continued staring at me, though his hold on my arm loosened slightly. I tried to tug it out of his grasp without anyone noticing. It didn’t work. I sighed in exasperation. “Let me go Mark.” I tried again. This time though, his hold loosened to the point that his hand was simply resting on my arm. Just when I thought he would remove his hand, his hand started moving lower.

I jerked towards him in surprise, sparks going off as his hand feathered over mine. I tugged at my arm but he quickly grasped my hand, threading his fingers with mine. I gasped in surprise, the feeling of his warm hand on mine. It was enough to give me a pause, and for a moment I contemplated letting his hand stay where it was.

“Mine” he whispered in a hoarse voice. My head snapped up at him as my eyes widened in alarm.

“What?” I whispered back and tried to reclaim my hand back.

“Stop struggling. People are watching.” He hissed lowly. I looked around and noticed that his little stunt had started gaining attention. Even Mr. Herald had turned towards us. I willed myself to be quite. But as soon as he turned his back on us, I exploded.

“Why are you doing this?” I hissed back.

“Because you are who you are.” He snapped at me. Taken aback at his harsh tone, it stunned me into silence. But it lasted for a few minutes.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I asked, feeling slightly odd at his choice of words.

“Just drop it.” He said, but this time in a softer tone.

“Then leave my hand!” I whisper-yelled at him.

“No, can’t do kitty-cat.” He whispered back. “And besides, I like it this way.” He said, giving me one of his signature smiled. I huffed in annoyance but let him keep my hand, with some twisted part of me absurdly pleased with it.

'*'

As soon as the bell chimed I sprang up from my seat, using his momentarily surprise at my sudden movement I reclaimed my hand back. With a narrowed-eyed look at him, I beat a hasty retreat. It scared me how my hand felt bereft without his touch. But I willed myself not to overthink it and kept walking.

“Anya!” I heard Lissy call out from behind me. I turned around the corner and entered the girl’s room and stopped. Leaning against the counter, breathing hard, I tried to understand what just happened. This is exactly how she found me seconds later.

“Wow! What was that?” she asked, slightly breathless.

“I have no idea.” I replied softly.

“Hey, you alright? Do I need to beat him up? She asked, looking at me carefully. I barked a short laugh, imagining a tiny Lissy taking on the gigantic Mark. He looks like he works out, my subconscious whispers. I shake my head a little, trying to get rid of that thought. 

“Thanks, but no. If he tried anything again, I’ll take care of him myself.” I say with steely resolve. “Come on, let’s go.” I said as I took a deep breath and steadied myself. Splashed some water on my face to calm my nerves, I felt better.

“You okay, right?” she asked again as we exited.

“Yeah, I think I am.” I gave her a small smile. She returned it with a small one of her own.

“Okay, see you at lunch?” she asked, for the first time, instead of just telling me.

“Yeah, I’ll see you at lunch.” I gave her another smile. But something changed in that moment. All this while, I saw her as a good friend. But things shifted and suddenly, I saw a best friend, and more importantly, a confidante. Someone who I can trust with all my secrets. It took away the feeling of being lonely, but at the same time, it left me feeling overwhelmed.

“Good. See you then.” She gave my hand a little squeeze and then walked away. I silently wiped the lone tear that escaped my eye.

I, too, turned walked to the other side, with a slight smile on my face feeling giddy despite what happened.

Who knows, maybe this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Vote and comment

Anna