Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“So, how was school today?” mom asked Gianna, my younger step-sister.

“It was very good! We had so much fun today!” she exclaimed in excitement. Mom beamed at her.

“What did you learn today?” It was a question that I’ve heard mom ask Gigi everyday for as long as I can remember.

“We learned about…” and Gigi went on and on, telling mom about every small and big thing that happened today with her. Even though she’s in 3rd grade, she considers mom her friend still and tells her almost anything and everything. It’s something that’s very rare in this day and mum cherishes it.

“And how was your day, Anya?” she asks as she turns towards me.

“It was good. I’ve got tons of homework though.” I grimaced. “But don’t worry, I’ll complete everything before the party.” I added as mum opened her mouth to argue. “In fact, I even invited Lissy tomorrow for group study.” I added, knowing it’ll get mum of my back.

“That’s wonderful!” she smiled in delight. Bingo, I thought as I hid my smile and continued eating.   

“Oh, and you’re helping us.” I said offhandedly to Mai, my elder step-sister, who was busy picking at her veggies.

“Wonderful.” She muttered. “What subject?” she asked.

“Maths” she nodded and went back at picking at her veggies.

“Stop it Mai.” Mum scolded her.

“I don’t like them.” She said but obeyed mum none-the-less.

'*'

So, what time should I pick you up?” Hayden, my step-brother, asked.

“Uh, around six?” I replied, writing my English essay. “Hey, can I ask you a question?” I asked and went on without waiting for his reply. “What did you dream of becoming as a kid?”

“Uh, a singer?” it came out more of a question.

“Thanks captain obvious.” I said sarcastically. “Anything else?” I pressed in a more serious tone. This essay took up a good chunk of my grade. If I flunked in this, I was so screwed.

What are you doing, twerp?” he sounded amused.

“My English essay.” I said in a no-nonsense tone, daring him to continue.

Oh, well then have fun writing!” He said with mock-enthusiasm.

“Goodnight Hayden.” I dead-panned and hit the end button. Moving on, I thought as I went back to writing my essay.

'*'

“So, what is your answer?” Mai asked Lis as she looked up from her magazine.

“Uh, 24?” she said hopefully.

“Nope, 48.” Lis banged her fist on the table in frustration.

“Ow!” she exclaimed as she clutched it. Mai pressed her lips to keep herself from laughing. I rolled my eyes.

“It was an easy question.” I said as I proceeded to tell her how it was supposed to be solved while Mai continued to flip through her magazine.

“You were supposed to be sucky.” She pouted.

“I am. But this one was easy.” And there went my afternoon, helping Lissy to get the hang of algebra while Mai read her magazine and offered an occasional advice.

'*'

“You look hot.” Mai said as I slid on the heels.    

“Come with me.” I tried one last time. She shook her head.

“Don’t start again!” she said, annoyed.

“You know he won’t mind and…” I started but she held up her hand.

“I know he won’t, but I would.” I opened my mouth to argue but she cut me off. “Don’t Anya. You and I both know I won’t be going tonight, so just stop pushing me.” I shut my mouth and nodded. I rummaged through my dresser, looking for my cherry gloss.

“Hey, have you seen my cherry gloss?” I asked her.

“Yeah, I took it. Wait a sec.” with that she walked out. I sighed.

“You look good, di.” Gigi said leaning against my bedroom door. She always called me and Mai di, even though kids at her age usually started calling their siblings by their names. Guess she has been spending quite some time with nana.

“Thanks hon.” I said as I stood up and tried to ruffle her hair. She quickly darted out of my reach, giggling.

“You can’t catch me!” she said to me as she darted out of the room.

“Oh, but I can.” Came a masculine voice from the door right before Gigi shrieked.

“Hayden, stop messing Gianna's hairs.” Mum called from downstairs.

“Sorry.” He called back as he entered the room.

Hayden Callahan, my father’s second wife’s son, my step-brother and a universally proclaimed rockstar. With his sandy blonde hairs, six pack and heavenly voice, it didn’t take long for him to become the next best thing. But that didn’t stop him from becoming the greatest brother in the world.

“When did you arrive?” I asked, waiting for Mai.

“Just now. I came in from the back door.” He said absentmindedly. Then he took in my dress. “Damn, twerp, you look good.” He said smiling, then he turned serious. “How fast can you change?”

“Why? I thought you liked it?” I asked, feeling confused.

“Well, with you looking like that, I’ll probably have to beat the guys off you with a stick.” He said with a frown.

“Oh, for god sakes. Lighten up!” Mai said as she came back from her room with the gloss.

“Oh, hey princess.” Hayden drawled, my dress forgotten for the time being. There was so much tension in the room that it can be cut with a knife. But, this always happened with both of them in the same room.

“Stop calling me that.” She said in annoyance as I finished applying the gloss.

“Alright, let’s go!” I said with false enthusiasm as I practically dragged Hayden out of the room.

“Later princess!” he called out.

“You really don’t value your life, do you?” I shook my head at him. “We’re going mom!” I called out when we didn’t find her in the kitchen.

“Alright honey. Have fun, but not too much!” I smiled.

“I won’t!” I called back.

“Alright, bye Hayden!” she called back.

“Bye Jenny!” and with that we opened the door and stepped into the night.

So, what do you think?

Anna