Chapter 41

"Ah, there she is! The blushing bride!” A boisterous voice called, snapping Lily out of her worrisome thoughts.

"I am hardly blushing.” She grumbled, putting aside the vision for now as Owen plopped down beside her.

"Seems you are.” He slung an arm across her shoulders, leaning closer to her face as if to study it.

She wrinkled her nose at the stench of alcohol on his breath and pushed his arm away from her, shooting him a half-hearted glare. “You’ve had too much to drink, haven’t you?”

"Have not.” He grinned at her as both Andrew and Garrett came over to join them, taking seats across from her.

"We overhead the prince saying you wanted to continue being a knight.” Andrew said, leaning across the table. “Is that even allowed?”

"I stayed one in Railark. According to Liam, I’m one of the best,” she boasted, “and besides someone has to keep him in line.” She gestured to Owen who was downing another goblet of wine, the red drink dribbling down his chin.

"I wouldn’t mind you keeping me in line.” He said, giving her a lecherous wink.

"Careful now. I’m a married woman.” She said with mock-seriousness, flashing the ring on her finger.

"Ah, yes. I nearly forgot.”

“How could you forget?!” Andrew exclaimed, choking on his wine. “This is her wedding celebration!”

"Hmm," Owen leaned his elbows on the table, peering down at Lily with a mischievous smirk tugging on his lips and ignoring Andrew altogether. “Do you think Liam would mind sharing you?”

"Sorry," Lily told him, “the prince is not the sharing type.” She spared a glance back towards Liam who, despite being surrounded by lords and ladies, had his eyes glued on her and Owen.

Owen must have noticed for his smirk grew. “What a shame.” He leaned across the table, moving faster than a drunk man had any right to, and pressed his lips against hers in a quick kiss. He pulled away with a wicked grin before she could even process what had happened.

Lily blinked at him in shock. “The hell was that?”

"What was that?!” A voice thundered behind Lily, causing her to jump in alarm, her heart pounding from the scare.

"What? It was just a harmless kiss.” Owen shrugged though he smirked at Liam.

Lily half-expected her prince to attack Owen, but he simply stood there, his mouth opening and closing as he tried to find some way to respond. “Y-you can’t just kiss my wife!” He finally protested. “Go find your own!”

"But yours is just so pretty.” Owen fluttered his eyes at Lily, and she laughed.

"I guess I can’t dispute that.” Liam mumbled under his breath, just loud enough for Lily to hear, and she smiled up at him before looking back at Owen.

"Too bad you’re not my type, Owen.” She teased.

"I’m everyone’s type.”

"Looks like my prince’s arrogance has rubbed off on you as well.”

"Hey!” Liam objected good-naturedly as he pretended to glare at Lily then Owen.

"I’m drunk. I can’t be held accountable for anything I say or do.” Owen said it with the blankest look Lily had ever seen, almost as if he had said the line numerous times. Knowing him, he probably had.

"No,” Liam said in an overly cheerful voice, “but I suppose the headache you’ll have come morning will hold you very accountable, especially since training will resume bright and early.”