Chapter 14

Liam paced his chambers, wondering if his father was right about Railark. Was every citizen indeed as guilty as his father claimed? Even the children? He knew very little about the magic kingdom, but it seemed their citizens were born with magic. If that was true, then how many innocent people had his father killed? Liam couldn’t bear the thought. His father was not a murderer.

His chamber door swung open, and he turned, a harsh word on his tongue before he spotted Xan. “Sire? What are you doing here?” The servant looked up in obvious surprise.

"These are my chambers.” Liam raised his eyebrows. “Didn’t I give you the day off?”

"Didn’t you have a meeting?”

"It ended early.”

"Same with me.”

"Did she dump you?”

"What? No.” Xan walked past Liam to stand in front of the fireplace, kneeling to poke at the dying embers. “It went fine. I just didn’t feel right with taking the day off.”

"Never bothered you before.”

"How did the meeting go?”

Liam narrowed his eyes at the servant who still poked at the fire even though it was now burning strong. “Xan, do you think I’m a terrible person?”

"Not like you to be self-conscious.”

"I’m serious.”

Xan released a long breath before standing to face Liam, meeting his eyes the way a servant was never supposed to do. “I think you’re human. Even though you’re a prince, you still make mistakes, bad decisions, to the point people would be well within reason to dislike you,” he shrugged, “but that doesn’t make you a terrible person. Just a flawed one. My cousin knows that as well; it’s why she’s still around.”

"And what about you?”

"What about me?”

"What do you think?”

Xan pursed his lips. “I think...I’ve met worse men than you before in my life, and they never apologized for it. Never even felt guilty. So, no, compared to them, I don’t think you’re a terrible person at all.” He hesitated. “Where is this coming from?”

"Father wants to wage war against Railark. He wants to kill every citizen, including women and children. He says anyone with magic is evil.”

Xan tensed. “Do you agree with him?”

"I don’t know.” Liam sighed. “Magic is what killed my mother and sisters, so I should be celebrating Father’s decision. I just don’t think I can kill innocent children.”

"Maybe magic’s like a sword or a bow. Only dangerous in the hands of the wrong person.”

"Maybe you’re right.” Liam sighed. “You’re dismissed, Xan. Enjoy the rest of your day off.”

Xan made to leave the chambers before turning to face Liam. “You know, I don’t have to be a servant anymore. Not with my parents gone.” He kept his tone conversational and light. “I continue being so because I actually like working for you. I hope that doesn’t change.”

***

"Lord Selkrit is leaving.”

Basil stood by the window in Lily’s chambers to watch the black horse carry the lord away. Joseph sat in a chair nearby, his eyes never leaving the younger teen. Lily believed the knight meant to stare a hole through her brother, but Basil gave no sign of noticing the heated eyes on his back.