Chapter 35

Lily threw her sword in a panic, the blade sticking through the pirate’s chest. She stared at it in disbelief as the pirate dropped to the ground before she spun around, using her magic as a whip to jerk the feet out from under another pirate. She had lost sight of the one with lightning at his fingertips, and it worried her more than she wanted to admit. Branches broke behind her, and she turned, her magic stopping inches from the startled face of one of her knights.

"Don’t do that!” She hissed.

"Apologies, Milady.” He had the good grace to look sheepish. “I believe we’ve taken care of all of them.”

"No, there’s another one.”

"If there was, he’s gone now. We’ve searched everywhere.”

Lily gazed up at the early afternoon sun and ran her hands through her hair. She hated the next words that left her mouth, but they couldn’t be helped. “Alright. Gather the knights. We’ll head back to Railark.”

"Should we inform King Char of what has happened?”

"No,” Lily whistled for her horse, hoping the beast hadn’t fled too far, “he’s probably too busy with his women and wine to bother with his borders.”

She ventured farther into the narrow trees, breathing a sigh of relief when she located her horse on the side of the river. Down the river, she caught sight of Anura, its luscious fields stretching as far as the eye could see. It had been years since she had last stepped foot into the festive kingdom, its bright colors and boisterous air only a faded memory now. She made a note to return there even if its king irritated her to no end.

"Milady! Are you ready?”

She turned back to her knights, tugging at her horse’s reins before she slung herself into the saddle. The horse gave an ill-tempered snort before she patted the side of its neck. "Easy, girl. On to Railark.”

The knights followed her lead, the trees around them thickening their branches and leaves. Her muscles ached from the skirmish with the pirates, but her energy returned at the sight of the apple trees. She snapped the reins, urging her horse onwards, as the silver gates sparkled in the distance.

***

Liam’s skin prickled with unease and sweat as if he were suddenly on trial. Rosy tapestries decorated with the royal crest hung on the walls with open windows between each one. At the end of the room sat six chairs. One for each royal sibling. None were occupied. A young man dressed in black pants and a loose white shirt stood at the last window in the room, looking out with his arms behind his back.

"Sage?” Basil called, prompting the young man to turn and smile at them. “This is my eldest brother, and Railark’s king.”

Liam thought he looked much too young to be a king, but when he met the other man’s eyes, he found an aged wisdom that proved he had been king for many years. He didn’t know what to say to this young king. Mercuri had done nothing but bring grief upon Railark, and yet Liam stood in the kingdom with the hopes of marrying one of its princesses. As if he had that right.

"Relax.” Sage said, walking towards them. “No harm will come to you here, Prince of Mercuri.”

"You’re not angry with what I’ve done? With what my father’s done?”

"I never said that,” Sage replied,” but you cannot be held responsible for your father’s actions.”

"What about my actions then?”

"We don’t condemn you for them.” Then when Liam opened his mouth to protest, he continued in a slightly deadlier tone. “If Lily had not forgiven you so easily, you would not have made it this far into my castle.”