Chapter 20

Basil woke to an empty room, the screams still ringing in his ears and the fading fragments of a nightmare fresh in his mind. He didn't know how long he had slept, but seeing as how the window was dark now suggested it must have been a good while. He still felt tired as he leaned back against the pillows, knowing Joseph must have been the one to move him to the bed. He wondered where the knight had gone and fought back the panic at the thought of being alone. Loneliness was something he typically enjoyed, but he was in a kingdom full of potential enemies. Letting his guard down would be foolish.

He closed his eyes, forcing himself to relax, and absentmindedly plucked at the fresh bandages covering his hands. His magic felt like a distant wave slipping through his fingers whenever he reached for it. Like a sore tooth, he kept prodding at it, hoping it would do more than lie dormant inside him. He hadn't been lying when he had said it was his only skill, and it worried him to know he couldn't use it even if he wanted to. Finally, he let the exhausted magic rest as the chamber door opened, startling him. He opened his eyes to see Joseph enter with a tray of food, more than enough for the two of them.

"You didn't have to fetch the food yourself. They do have servants for that." Basil pointed out.

"Your cousin asked me to carry it up here." Joseph replied, placing the tray on the small table across the room.

Basil blinked, wondering why Xan would send Joseph to collect the food. "Lily hasn't returned?"

"I believe she is staying with the prince tonight." Joseph turned to him before Basil could complain on his sister's absence. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," he replied, "but not as well as I'd like to be."

"Well enough to eat?"

Basil hesitated. The thought of food didn't really appeal to him, but he was willing to try if only to wipe away the concerned looks the knight kept giving him. "I suppose." He pushed the blankets away from him and flinched when his feet touched the cold stone floor. "You're eating too, right?"

"Of course." Joseph's smile lit up his whole face, and Basil thought he should smile more often. It would certainly be a much more pleasant change from the constant seriousness the knight carried with him.

Basil sat down at the table, feeling his stomach turn just from looking at the food, but he obediently took one of the rolls and bit into it. He watched as Joseph grabbed an apple, standing as there was only one chair. It made Basil feel guilty, but he already knew from experience that attempting to give up his chair would only end in an argument. He wondered if Joseph's injuries still bothered him. The knight was so careful not to let any emotions or pain cross his features that it was hard for Basil to tell.

They ate in silence, Basil no longer caring that Joseph watched each small bite he took with a frown. His stomach twisted unpleasantly with each morsel that passed his lips, but he did his best to choke down as much as he could. A knock sounded at the door and opened without a response from either resident. Xan stepped inside, allowing Basil to see for the first time the sling his cousin wore.

"I was burned. Like you." Xan said, catching his staring eyes with a smile before withdrawing a small vial from his pocket. A blue liquid shimmered inside the glass. "Eldon told me to bring you this. Said it would help you to regain your strength."

"Thank you." Basil took the potion from Xan.

Joseph had stepped away, towards the window, though he watched Basil and the potion intently as if he expected the tiny vial to bite the teen. Xan leaned closer to Basil and whispered, "he's loyal, that one."

"Most knights are." Basil muttered in return.

"Ah, yes, but most knights also know what personal space is."