Chapter 5: Identity

Beep.

Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Argh. What day was it today?

Oh, right. Great, school.

I spring up out of my bed and go into the daily routine.

Blue long sleeves or red long sleeves? Black jeans or blue jeans? Something, something. Scarf, scarf. Bla, bla, bla.

Maybe I should just where shorts and a t-shirt just to "embarass" my mom.

I freeze as I ponder on the thought.

Nah. It's not worth it. I would embarass myself too.

Sigh.

"VIOLET!"

Oh, here we go again.

"Hurry up and get down here! Why do you need so long to dress up? You're ugly to begin with! And, don't you think I forgot about yesterday!"

Yeah, yeah. I know. I have a scar to prove it.

I look at myself in the mirror.

What I saw was a girl, standing tall and strong with prominent scars all over. It proved she had strength. Her emerald eyes glinted with firm determination, and her brown, honey-colored heir cascaded down her shoulders. Now there was an additional scratch that went across her cheek.

Sigh. Again.

I trudge down the stairs, slam the front door, walk to the car, and sat down in the back seat.

This time, there was no conversation.

Nothing.

She just leaves me several blocks away and leaves.

I walk to school, head down until...

"Ah!" I let out a little cry as someone shouts "Boo!" in my ear.

I turn around, seriously startled.

God, it was only Jake.

Trying to hide that my heart was still pounding not only because he scared me, I acted normal. 

"Hi, Jake. What's up?"

I was so nervous being in front of him that I didn't notice he was staring intently at my face.

I fidget around.

"Um, Jake?"

"What happened?"

"What happened to what?"

"What happened to what?" He looked at me like I was crazy. "Of course, I mean your face."

Oh, the cut.

"Nothing." I mutter.

"Violet!" He lifts my face up. I look into his eyes, sending the message with them: I really don't want to talk about it.

"Seriously, Jake. It's nothing." I'm still staring into his eyes, trying to make him understand.

He lets go, but takes my hand to drag me to school.

"Jake!" I'm startled again. I look around and my fears come true. I'm attracting attention.

Whispers start again.

"Who is she?" "I can't believe she's walking with Jake!" "She's so full of herself!" "I can't believe she's so ugly, but she's with Jake!"

Sigh. Oh, it's the third time today. I drop my head.

"Ignore them."

"Huh?"

"Ignore them. They're all jerks."

I lift my head to stare again into his beautiful eyes. I take strength from them and return the smile. 

"Ok."

The whole day continued like that.

For the first time, I'm standing tall not just in front of the mirror but in front of others. I know this strength will only last a day, but I'll bask in this temporary glory.

I see Jake at lunch again and I walk over to him myself. I sit next to him even with the shocked glares from his friends.

"Hi." I smile at him.

He smiles back, radiant.

"Hey, Violet."

There is no deafening silence now, no awkardness. It's just friendship.

We part at the end of school.

But, I know I'll see him at four.

Two hours isn't that long, especially with my everyday task to look for the notes.

Yesterday was....It's nearly impossible to explain. The new note was beyond terrifying. I had thought that other things were scarier before, but nothing really beats this. And, it only contained one word. 

DIE

Written in blood, splattered in blood, everthing was.... I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

I walk outside to get the mail, calming my jitters.

It can't get worse. It can't get worse.

I chanted it over and over.

I'm so naive. 

With all that I have learned, I should have known.

It can always get worse.

I open the mailbox, and as always, a piece of paper slips out.

J. C.

I scream and everything blacks out.

Faintly, I can hear someone shouting my name, but I feel myself hit the ground and I don't feel anymore.

My name is Violet, and my brother is Jack Carter.