Chapter 1: Jake

Harry walks down the corridor, his invisibility cloak on. He creeps into the library. Meow, he freezes and turns his head to look at a cat. It seemed to be staring at him, but that wasn't possible: no one can see him. The cat keeps him in sight with its eerie, piercing eyes. Hiss. All of a sudden-

"Violet! Come down here! The tutor that you wanted is here!"

Sigh.

"Yes,  Ms..."

"Violet..." 

"Yes, Mother." My "mother" is Ms. White. She absolutely hates me, though it was her idea to adopt me. I seemed more "obedient" to her when she came to the orphanage, desperate for a child. My "father" seems to hate me even more.

Sigh. I slam my book shut, and clamber down the stairs. I dreaded what was about to come. 

A year ago, I begged Ms. White to stop forcing me to go to school. I literally went on my knees and cried, "Please, please. I beg you!" I dread the tutors since many have treated me quite harsh. The last one left visible marks, adding several to the many on my body. However, school is worse. It is beyond horrid. Everyday I walk to school, face hidden with a scarf and long sleeves and pants; but, all 706 students could still see the digusting burns a fire has left me. The scars trail along my hands, over my face, and all aver my body. They are all reminders of the past I experienced. So, I am homeschooled by the new tutor that will come everyday.

I walk to  Ms. White to greet my oh-so-wonderful new tutor. I had kept my head down the entire time, but when I finally look into his, or her, eyes I find out he is a student from my former school! God, I wonder how this will turn out.

"Hi, you must be Violet. I'm Jake" Good, he doesn't know me. Jake, it's so similar to Ja-.

Calm yourself, Violet. I scold myself. 

I observe him more closely. Jake is....cute. I rarely say anything about boys, but he was really handsome. Brown-blondish hair, mesmerizing deep blue eyes, perfect body; he was everything any girl would want. So why was he here? He must have heard about my situation from gossip or most likely my mother. But, he just smiles at me and starts the lesson he will teach today.

"...So you plug this number into the equation and get that answer." The tutoring had been going on for a while, and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to ask him.

"Why exactly are you here, Jake? I'm sure you know me, you know I'm 'not normal', but you act as if there's is nothing wrong. What is your deal?"

He looked straight into my eyes, trying to keep up his smile but his wild gaze betrayed him. A chill ran down my spine.

Jake's shoulders sagged like his answer will be a burden. He straightened himself and began.

"What if I said, I like you?"

"I wouldn't believe it."

"Yeah, I kind of knew that would be your response. Well, how should I start?"

There was a long, awkward pause that made me feel extremely uncomfortable.

"Nevermind." I mutter.

"I know what nobody knows about that fire many years ago." He suddenly bursts out.

"What!?" I tensed up. Nobody talks about that thing anymore.

You'll see  and I'll be back tomorrow was all he said before he quickly tidied up everything and left.

I did "see", sooner than later, and it was...