Prologue

Flames lick my shoes and burn my skin, leaving permanent marks. I run, I crouch, I try to breathe but I only end up coughing with tears in my eyes. I hear screams, or were those screams mine?

Through the haze, I see something. God, I'm scared. Who could it be? It comes closer, and it seems to be yelling, or roaring. Oh, it's my dad, and he sees me.

"Hurry, come on!"

I stare at him, and he's running towards me, through the fire. Why? Well, I'll run too. I collapse in his arms.

"Vivi, you're okay." God, I wish he wouldn't call me that.

"Dad...."

"No time for questions. We got to go."

He drags me out, sets me a distance away, and turns as if he was leaving me. I grab onto his smoldering shirt to stop him, to ask him what was going on. I was so confused. I woke up when I felt like someone was choking me.

He faces me, his expression calm and forlorn.

"Sorry, sweetheart. I have to go back for them." Them....Mom, Jack; where were they?

"Where-" I start to ask, but he stops me by shaking his head and starts to run back to... Oh, my god. Our house is burning!

"Dad, stop! Don't go! You'll die!" I shout, but it's too late. Everything erupts like a grand finale.

For a few seconds I watch the fire spread in a daze, and drop to my knees. Mom, Dad, Jack, they were all d-

"No, no, no!"

"NO!" I sit up, my heart pounding, my mind still on the nightmare.

I look around: I was in a room? Oh, right. This isn't my old house. No one calls me Vivi. They're really dead...

My sobs seemed echo through the night, but no one woke and no one comforted me.

I'm alone.