Detention

The walk back to school was okay. 

School's almost over and I realize that I missed a few classes, but I don't really care because it was so worth it. By the time I get there, there's only about five minutes left. I don't even know how I managed to find my way back, since this was my first time going to Harry's. Must've been that I have a good memory.

I walk in to the class, I look around and realize that I'm not the only one here. Sigh. Hopefully, this won't be bad. I think.

I sit down at the desk at the back of the class and try to ignore everyone.

The teacher walks in and looks angry, but her mood changes after a second. Weird, but okay.

"You will have to do lines. No time for homework here. Line up in front of my desk and each one of you take one lined paper. You are to write "I am sorry, I will not do it again". You must fill both sides of the pages, no double-spaced, do not write big so that it makes it look less. You must have at least fifty lines or else you will not be dismissed."

"What a waste of paper!" A girl stands up and shouts.

"That wouldn't happen if you guys weren't here, so it's all your fault."

"You're wasting your own time, you should just let us go." The same girl says.

"Okay, one more word from you and I'll make this worse for everybody."

Everybody has their eyes on her now, she just sits back down, without saying a word. 

I usually procrastinate a lot, but since I wanted to get out of here as fast as possible, I finished the lines very quickly, without realizing how bad it looks.

I bring it back to the teacher. Seems like she really cares about this, she says "Always remember that whenever you have to work on something, when you try to do it a bit too fast, you won't end up doing it well. You should either not do it at all or you do it well and take your time."

"Okay, err I'm sorry."

"It's alright for this time, you can go. But remember that for next time or any other time."

"Okay...So I can leave now?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, thanks uh bye."

I walk to my locker to grab my things and then I head towards the door.

"Hey, where were you?"

"What do you mean?" I say and turn around to see my teacher staring at me.

"You skipped class, didn't you?"

"I, Uh...am sorry?"

"It's all good, but um don't too be hard on yourself okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"I think you forgot this in class yesterday."

He hands me my agenda and I turn pale. School agendas are used to write homework and notes from parents to teachers and vice versa, but I sometimes use the blank pages where all the school rules and stuff to doodle or write things that wander in my thoughts. I almost forgot.

"See you later sir, thanks and bye."

The walk home is taking longer than usual, only because I'm walking slowly, thinking about what had just happened. I do that so that I can have more time to be alone and to think. 

My phone vibrates once again and I see yet another text. This is like the tenth one my mum is sending me and I got about twelve missed calls. This always happens, but I guess that's just how moms are, right? 

I rush home, only because I don't want her to keep worrying and I don't want to get in trouble.

Minutes later, I open the door to my house and I see my mum bawling her eyes out on the sofa.

"Hey mum, what's up?"

"Oh, honey! You're finally home. I've been looking for you everywhere! Are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened?" She runs towards me and gives me a hug and doesn't let go.

"Mum, I'm still alive and I'm fine, if I weren't, then I'd probably wouldn't be standing here right now." I say, awkwardly standing there and looking around.

"Right. Sorry, anyways, where were you?"

"I uh, had detention..."

"Oh, what'd you do?"

"The teacher simply hates me."

"Oh no, don't say that."

"You know it's true."

"No." She says.

There's a long silence before either of us say anything. I decide to walk to the kitchen to get a drink instead. I'm really hungry, but I do not let myself eat, I just drink some milk instead.

"Erm, did you get detention because of your classes?"

"What?"

"Skipped classes, I mean."

"What are you talking about?"

 "I got a phone from school that you missed one class today."

Actually it was two mum, but I'm not going to tell you that, because I guess my teacher marked me present. Oh wait; it was the teacher who gave me back my agenda.

"Oh uh yeah...I had to do something."

"And that was?"

"Okay, to be honest, I skipped because I was with this boy."

"You did not dare..."

"Mum, please don't get mad at me...Besides, you're always the one telling me that I should get out more and socialize..."

"But, not in the way that you should skip class to go hang with him!"

"Mum, don't worry, I'm fine."

"Don't come to me when you catch some sort of disease or get pregnant, because then you'll say I didn't warn you!"

"Mum!"

She shouts something back at me, but I decide to tune her out and go to my room. I do and I lock myself in there as well. I let myself jump on my bed and I cry in my pillow. I don't even care at the fact that I'm lying on the bed in my school clothes.

My mum was the only family I have that was really close to me and I think I just screwed that up. Harry was just a boyfriend. Nothing compares to family, but I don't know what I was thinking that moment. I said the truth, because it is better than lying. I never like to lie to my mum or anybody. Women specifically, always seem to find everything out, so it would be a stupid mistake to lie to them. But to the rest of the world, I lied every single day. That's when I pretend that I am okay when I'm actually not. I thought telling my mum the truth would make everything better, but it only made it worse and I screwed it up for myself. What have I done?

I remember how Harry told me I could go to his tree house any time I wanted, so I get up and go to wash my face. I go downstairs, after I'm a bit calm and tell my mum I'm going out. She doesn't even bother to ask where, so I just say a simple love you and I leave. Even if she doesn't reply back to my comment, I know she heard it.