9| Running

I turned around, tears swelling through my eyes, and ran. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, but faster.

But I wasn't fast enough. At least not fast enough for Morgan and Latonya.

"Just promise you'll stay out of our way!" they both shouted.

"Why does it matter to you?" I retorted.

"You probably only came here to make yourself head of every club and organization, get top ranked in all your classes, then make the rest of us feel like nothing!" someone shouted.

"Just let me leave!" I begged.

"Just give us your word and your free to go!" Morgan yelled angrily.

"Your only making this harder for yourself," said Latonya in her high pitched voice.

She's right, I realized. But why? Why didn't I just agree?

I stepped back, only to have my back hit against a cool door. I hijab was now caught on the doorknob, and before I moved, I shouted angrily "Okay! I'll leave you alone! Just LET ME GO!"

Latonya looked sick as she stepped aside, but her teeth didn't show and look in her eyes was different. Way different. My brain immediately told me to slap her, punch her, or maybe even kick that pretty face of her's, but I was better than that.

Standing right next her, was none other than Morgan Myers. But she wasn't grinning, or laughing, or even just giving me that weird look. She had a different expression on her face, one that I hadn't ever seen before. Her eyes were wide open, and her mouth was too, though only slightly.

Her arms were also in a different position. Usually, they be clapping right now, or maybe just at her side. But they were holding Latonya's arm away from me. Me! Morgan Myers was keeping Latonya away from me.

The Morgan Myers that welcomed me to Lansing on my first day. The Morgan Myers that didn't stand up for me at lunch on the first day. The Morgan Myers that stood by Latonya only minutes ago. The Morgan Myers that saved me from Latonya Lee.

At least I think so.

But what caught my attention was the chuck of cloth missing from my favorite midnight hijab. I turned to look at the doorknob, and there she held a large chunk of black cloth, with sparkles representing the stars in the midnight sky.

Then it struck me, my all-time favorite hijab had just been ripped, all thanks to Latonya Lee, and possibly Morgan Myers.

Latonya's voice was so faint, I would've probably missed it if I hadn't already been staring at her. "Oh no..."

I didn't want to say anything more than I had to to both Latonya and Morgan.

So I ran.

I ran straight out of the school's front doors.

I didn't turn around, not once, until I finally made it home. I ran up the steps of our apartment complex. I even ran into our apartment door, causing a loud BANG, which alerted my mom that someone was there.

The door slowly creaked open, and my mom's beautiful face appeared in front of me. The sight of another human immediately triggered a volcano of water that exploded out of my eyes. Mama quickly brought me into a hug, and we stood there huddled together for a while, arms wrapped around each other.

"Mama?" I asked, my face full of dried tears.

"Shh..." Mama whispered, her beautiful calm voice following through my ears, instantly making me relax.

"Why we have to move here?" I asked, still crying. I was almost positive I had said it wrong, but I didn't care anymore. English sucks. America sucks.

Mama sighed. "Oh Samira, this is home, so please speak your first language," she said in Arabic. "We want to give you more opportunities in life, and America has a lot. We want you to live your best life, so we seized a last-minute chance here." 

I wanted to tell her this would never be my best life. My best life was the one back in Dubai. The one filled with real friends and real memories. The one filled with familiar sights, sounds, and smells.

"Samira?" Mama asked.

"Yes, Mama," I replied obediently.

She grinned, "Your teacher wants you to try to get the open spot on the Student Council."

I automatically pulled away from Mama's tight hug, cocked my head and even raised an eyebrow. "What? Which teacher?"

Mama smiled, "Your English teacher, Ms. Ellis."

Ooooh! What do you think of Samira running for student council??? Any predictions??

3.1.21: I have changed some key moments in this chapter and am working on updating the rest of the chapters after it!