Chapter 5

A/N: Hello! I think by now you have realized that updates are no longer daily, unfortunately. I apologize about that, but I want to take the time to craft a well-written chapter, and to make sure it's good quality I have to sacrifice my update schedule. Also, I know I said we'd get to the action, but it actually looks like we have a few more filler chapters to get through so... Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

Lucy smacked him on the head harder. "Come on, where is it?"

Simon was curled in a ball in his bed, laughing. His hands were over his head to protect him from his little sister's vicious pillow attack. "I'll never tell! Muahaha!"

Lucy smacked him again. "I need it! Simon, come on, it's just for one night."

"No, you want it for four nights! Tonight, then the three nights you're on your trip!"

Lucy sat back, peeved. Ever since their parents had gotten them a phone, they were supposed to share it nicely. However, although the siblings loved each other, Simon could be frustrating when he decided to use difficulty as humor. "Where did you hide it? Under the mattress?" She scooted off the bed and tried to lift the mattress up, crushing Simon further between the bed and the wall.

"Ah! Let me up!"

"That's what you get!" Lucy yelled back. "Where is it?"

"Ah! Ah! Fine, fine, I'll tell you!" She dropped the mattress and he rolled off the bed. "It's behind the bookshelf! Oh, my poor old bones." He feigned pain, gasping on the floor.

She gave him a light kick in the ribs. "Poor you." She walked over to the bookcase and searched the rows of books until she pulled out the phone. A few texts on the Aviad group chat, but nothing from Amelia yet. She sighed and opened her messages.

Luke: Have I got a surprise for you guys...

Seb the Maniac: Oh no, wut now?

Mads: Who died this time

Luke: Very funny. No one died

Luke: I found another aviad

Alva: No way. I did too

Luke: Carter Duvall?

Alva: No, Atlas something

Seb the Maniac: Cool! Can't wait to meet them

Mads: How old?

Luke: 17

Alva: Seventeen.

Lucy began typing her own message.

Me: Are they coming to dinner?

Luke: yeah I invited him

Alva: Yes, I think so

Lucy sighed, thinking. Two days before their trip, and two new Aviads. It was as though the world was determined to make this summer entertaining at the least.

She tossed the phone into her bag before Simon could steal it back and headed for the door.

✵✵✵

This place is wonderful. Ivy had never really been in a public square before. In her early childhood she'd been locked in her house most of the time, and once she went to the orphanage she was never allowed outside again. But now, Sawyer had brought her into town. Everyone looked so busy, like they had somewhere to be. There were so many places, so many shops and restaurants and apartment buildings. There were roads, and there were cars everywhere.

Sawyer had taught her to hide her wings, but she couldn't hide her tattoos yet. He gave her the sweater he was wearing to cover up both her tattoos and the obvious hole in the back of her shirt. It was far too big for her but she was grateful she had something to wear other than the gray uniforms everyone in the orphanage was forced to wear.

He brought her to a colorful store, which she guessed sold clothes, judging by the abundance of garments inside. He pulled a few bills from his back pocket and handed them to her. "You know how to shop?"

Ivy nodded. She actually didn't, but she guessed she could figure it out based on what the other people were doing. Sawyer kept asking questions.

"You know your size?"

She nodded again.

"You can go in alone?"

The 'alone' part was daunting to Ivy. It felt good to be around someone she could trust, but then, she had to learn some independence. Sawyer wasn't her father, after all.

She nodded. Sawyer leaned against the wall outside the shop. "Go get yourself some clothes, and a bathing suit if you can find one. There should be changing rooms, so once you've bought them you can change into something more comfortable. I'm going to be right here, okay? Come get me if you need me."

Ivy said quickly, "I understand," and darted into the store. She was excited by all the colors and shapes the clothes came in, and couldn't wait to begin.

✵✵✵

The look on Ivy's face when she entered the store told Sawyer he was making the right choice. It was obvious from her behavior that she had never been shopping before, which, according to Madison, was something girls were supposed to do. He could wait outside and let her have this experience to herself.

A woman emerged from the crowd in the square and approached him. He recognized her as Ashley Fernsby, the town sheriff.

"Hey, Sawyer," she said cheerfully. "You're not looking suspicious at all, standing right outside a woman's clothing store all by yourself."

He laughed. "Well, I'm actually not by myself. I'm waiting on a girl who's currently inside."

Fernsby raised an eyebrow. "A girl?"

Sawyer smiled at her. He opened his mouth to respond, when someone else in the crowd caught his eye. His heart skipped a beat and his stomach dropped like a stone. The rest of the world went dark.

He only saw the man for a split second, but he recognized him instantly. Dark, graying hair, slicked back. Blue eyes and a sharp nose. A cold face, no emotion showing. Sawyer's head emptied, saving a single thought.

Cole Morrison.

As soon as he was there, the man was gone. Sawyer craned his neck, searching the crowds for him again, but he was nowhere to be found.

I'm seeing things, he told himself. He clenched his fists, his hands had gone cold.

"Hey, Earth to Sawyer?" Fernsby snapped her fingers. "You're looking pretty spooked. You okay, kid?"

Sawyer shook his head slightly, bringing himself back to the conversation. "Sorry. Thought I saw something."

Fernsby looked behind her, and turned back to him. "Someone?"

Sawyer shrugged. "Well, I'm sure you must be busy today. It was nice talking to you."

"You too..." Fernsby gave him a suspicious look, but took off again into the crowd. "See you around, Fortes."

He waved goodbye nonchalantly, before turning his attention back to the crowd one last time. He didn't see anything. I was definitely seeing things. There's no way Morrison could be here.

Ivy emerged from the store in a green cardigan and jeans, with a paper shopping bag in her arms. She held out her hand and dropped a few coins into his.

"Thank you," he said, putting them into his pocket. "You got everything you need?"

"Yep," she affirmed. "Thanks for giving me the money. I don't have any to pay you back with."

"Ah, that's alright. Let's go home."

"To your home?" she asked him.

"To my home," he told her.