THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 23

It's Thanksgiving. My family never celebrates this holiday but Abel's does. David and Mary have been cooking since dawn. The house is overwhelmed with the delicious fragrance of food. Everything is ready by the late afternoon. Abel and I help set the table. We trade secret smiles as we pass each other. We all sit around the table with a mountain of food before us. Turkey and a honey baked ham, sweet potatoes and potato salad, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, collard greens, cornbread, and many desserts. Mary made a pecan pie, banana pudding, a sweet potato pie, and a pound cake.

Abel invited Michael and his wife over. I look around the table and all I see are smiling faces. Everyone is genuinely enjoying each other's company. We eat and laugh and eat some more. This Thanksgiving tradition is new to me but I've fallen in love with it already. Our bellies are full and my heart is happy.

I blink and frown. My happiness feels like a betrayal to my sister. Eden is having a difficult time while I'm having the time of my life. I want to share this moment with her but she refused to take my calls. All I want is for her to find her happiness.

"Can we tell them, peaches?" Abel asks.

I nod, already knowing that he wants to shout the news from the rooftops. "We're having a baby. Emily's pregnant."

Mary smiles, her blue eyes glisten like sapphires. "Congratulations. That's wonderful news."

"Welcome to the baby club," Molly says to me.

Michael squeezes Abel's shoulder. "Congrats, brother. It's going to be a beautiful thing to watch our kids grow up together."

Abel's smile is wide and proud. "I can hardly wrap my head around it. The next generation of us."

"Have you guys picked a place here or are you birthing the baby in California?" David asks.

"We haven't talked about it yet," Abel says. "I definitely want to visit California."

"We'll probably be between states," I say. "My work life is in California but I want to keep my personal life in Ravenwood. I love this town. I certainly want to give birth here."

David smiles like the proud father he is. "This makes me happy."

"Are you going to sell your cabin?" Michael asks.

"I think I will," Abel says. "The cabin is secluded. I originally bought that cabin for privacy and I loved living close to the wildlife and nature. Now that I have a family, I don't need to be that far out from everyone."

I love that he's willing to uproot his entire life for me. Love is about sacrificing and coming together. Abel and I are doing a great job even though we're a new couple.

Abel turns his gaze to his mother. "So what has life been like for you?"

"The first five years is a blur," she says. "I was using frequently back then. I woke up using. I went to bed using. There were days where I was so high, I didn't know my name. I stole from whoever I could, wherever I could. I was homeless. I was hopeless. Things kept snowballing." She pauses to take a breath. "The truth is, I didn't think I deserved to live. My guilt was eating me alive. I almost killed my own child because I was too busy getting high. I used so heavily, hoping my heart would give out from an overdose. I asked God to take me but God never did." She wipes at her teary eyes. "The last time I used, I woke up on the floor in the bathroom stall of a bus station in Iowa. I was bruised and beaten. I couldn't remember why or how. I decided that it was time to get my life together. I joined an outreach program and went to rehab. I stayed clean and found a job." She smiles at her son, softly squeezing his hand. "I started painting again. I saved and traveled. I couldn't stay in one particular area because my home is here. I wasn't strong enough to face my past, but now I am."

Abel squeezes her hand back. "I'm glad you're here. I only have one mother and she is everything I hoped she would be."

I have to wipe at my own eyes. Their reunion is beautiful. It may not have started out good but it's turned into something no less than perfect.

"I want you in my life," Abel says to his mother. "We lost a lot of years but we have many more to make memories for."

"Of course," Mary says. "I'm honored to be in your life." She looks to David. "I hope that's okay with you, David. You've done an amazing job raising our son. I don't want to make you upset or uncomfortable being here."

He stares at her and then at the gold band around her finger. This is the first time I notice that they both have wedding bands on. "You still wear your ring."

She nods. "We're still legally married. I've always worn it. You're wearing yours too."

"I never took it off," David says. "I never thought I would see you again. I could never allow myself to believe you'd come back. I wouldn't survive the disappointment if I allowed myself to believe and you never came back. But in my heart, I prayed you would. You can stay as long as you like, Mary."

Mary and David stand up to hug each other. They're both wrapped in each other's arms as if they never want to part. And then she leans back with flushed cheeks and a wide smile. David runs his fingers through her hair. She presses her lips to his inner wrist. They both tilt their heads and twenty-five years is erased with a passionate kiss.

Abel grins. "I've never seen them interact before. My mom and dad still love each other." He smiles and playfully rolls his eyes. "I can finally say this. My parents need to get a room."

"You probably won't be an only child after tonight," Michael says, laughing.

Molly smacks his arm.

Abel throws a dinner roll at him, laughing. "Destiny has a plan for all of us."

While everyone is having dessert, I sneak away to the back porch to call my sister one more time before the night ends. The fall air is fresh and smells of wild pine and evergreen. I sit in one of the rocking chairs and pull out my phone.

Eden answers on the first ring. "Hey, bluebird."

"Hi. I didn't think you were going to answer."

"I'm going through a lot," she says. "I'm sorry. I'm not angry with you."

"I'm glad. And I'm sorry for the ambush. I wasn't trying to hurt you."

"I know. I'm going to see the psychologist," she whispers.

"I'm proud of you, Eden. Things can only get better from here."

"You're right. I feel good about this decision."

"I believe in you, Eden," I say. "You have always been the main one that believed in me. You've been taking care of me for most of my life. I will always be grateful and I will forever support you."

"I'm proud of you, too," Eden says. "You've created a family of your own. It's beautiful to witness."

"Thanks. That means a lot coming from you."

"How is Abel doing? Angel told me about his mother abruptly popping up."

"He's doing well. They're catching up. He loves his mother and it's clear his mother adores him."

"That's great that everything is going well. It's late. I'm going to take a shower and hit the sheets."

"Love you. Get some rest."

"I will and love you, too," she says.

We disconnect and I'm smiling down at my phone. Things are finally getting better.