THE VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 30

The moon is above the golden raspberry horizon when the sun sets. The moon and sun briefly kiss each other before the sky turns dark and then catches fire with a sea of silvery stars.

I'm already buckled in when Angel opens the car door. He sits in the driver's seat and glances at me. "Are you sure you want to go?"

I nod.

"Alright."

The miles of road pass quickly in the rearview mirrors. Ravenwood is a small town but it isn't necessarily small. Where we lack in population, we make up for in acres of wild land. There's an abundance of uncharted territory. There's a profusion of greenery and thriving rivers and lakes and mountains. Ravenwood is lush and rich. I am in love with this dreamy and magical town, but it just so happens to be the origins of my nightmare.

We pass a lonely Tudor house on the side of the road with a large hanging sign advertising readings from a blind witch.

"Stop the car," I tell him.

"Why?"

I point at the brown and cream white cottage-like house with a steep roof and exposed beams of dark wood. "I want to stop by there."

He looks back and squints, reading the sign. "You want to get a reading from a witch?"

"Yes."

Angel doesn't question me further. He simply turns around and parks in her driveway. We both gaze up at the beautiful and intimidating house. The windows are tall and narrow with multiple panes that cluster together. The brick chimneys are huge.

Walking up an arched entryway, I knock on a sturdy wooden door that looks like it once belonged to a castle.

A young Romanian woman answers. Her hair flows down her shoulders in strands of deep ebony and thick dark lashes rim shimmering jade green eyes. She's hauntingly beautiful. She has on a white cotton sundress and scuffed combat boots. Pink and clear crystal necklaces lace around her throat.

She smiles widely at us as she opens the door. "Hello. I'm Munin. Are you here to schedule a reading with my grandmother Magdalena Mihalache?"

"Yes," I say.

She gestures us in with a friendly wave of her hand. "Please come in." Inside is just as stunning as the exterior. The woodwork is polished and gleaming. Heavy draperies, Oushak rugs, velvet-upholstered wing chairs, and ornate wood furniture fill the interior. The smell of spices scents the air. I inhale fragrant cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. "Follow me to the office."

We pass long curving hallways as she guides us to an office with a massive wooden desk, computer, and a red velvet couch.

She goes behind the desk and sits on a swivel chair. "Sit down, please. Tell me a little about yourselves and why you're interested in a reading."

Munin seems genuinely unaware of who we are. It's hard to believe. Our faces must be plastered everywhere by now. Maybe she's one of the rare few that doesn't watch television, read tabloids, and post on gossip blogs. Maybe the world of media doesn't rule Munin's kingdom.

"I'm Eden and he's Angel. I saw the sign as we drove past and I told him to turn around. I'm curious."

Her expression is welcoming. "Nice to meet you, Eden and Angel. How can we sate your curiosity?"

"I'm in a difficult phase of my life. I recently found out some shocking information. I guess I want to see if I could get some spell work done and maybe if I could get a reading about my future."

"Would you like to look at a menu of spells?"

I've never heard of a spell menu. I didn't even know such things existed. I vaguely wonder if I could get a custom spell.