VICTIM EDEN OCTOBER 21

The first call arrived at midnight. David informed me that Emily and Abel was in critical condition at Ravenwood Hospital. He said it was a home invasion and police are actively searching for the suspect. He didn't release any details more over the phone. Alex and Danny stayed behind. They were just as confused and shocked as I was. Angel drove me to the hospital and David met us at the entrance. We had to wait in the intensive care unit's lobby while and Emily and Abel was rushed into emergency surgery.

David hands me and Angel a Styrofoam cup of coffee. My hands tremble as I bring the cup to my mouth. The coffee is lukewarm and tasteless. I look into the Chief's sad brown eyes.

He squeezes my shoulder. "They're going to pull through. They're going to be alright."

I nod. It's the only thing I can do. If I were to utter a word, I will mentally fall apart.

Angel curls an arm around my back, giving me warm comfort I so desperately need.

David sits in the chair next to me. He scrubs his hands over his tired face and sighs. "My boy is going to pull through. Abel's a soldier. My boy has to make it." He talks like he's trying to convince himself. David sits back and gazes at the ceiling or maybe at nothing at all. "You should call your parents, Eden. The detectives are on the way."

My hand is still trembling when I pull out my phone. I scroll through my contacts and find my mother's number. I haven't spoken to her in a good month. My mom and I have always communicated. We never lost touched. She knew what was going on in my life and she kept me updated about our family drama. I haven't spoken to my father in five years. He used to call me on my birthdays but I never answered. He stopped the birthday calls after year three.

She answers on the first ring. "Hi baby. What's wrong?"

"Mom." There's shakiness in my voice. I cry, sobbing so hard I can't get any words out.

"Tell me what's wrong, honey. Breathe."

"Emily's in the hospital. She's in critical condition," I manage to say throughout sobs.

"What?" My mother's voice sounds strangled.

"She got attacked during a home invasion."

"A home invasion? Dear God. Are you okay? Is Angel okay?"

"We're okay."

"I'm sorry, honey. Sweet Lord. When did this happen?"

"Chief David called me at midnight. Emily went to the amusement park with Abel. He took her to his cabin afterward. Someone broke into Abel's home and attacked Abel and Emily. The doctors haven't told me anything yet but the nurses informed us that they are trying to get Emily's vitals stable."

"Dear God. I have to get to my babies. Your father and I are catching the first flight out. Hang on, Eden. Mama's coming."

I nod and blabber words that make no sense. She tells me she loves me and that they're on their way. But a flight from California to North Carolina is at least five hours. It's a little after twelve A.M. now.

I wipe my eyes with the sleeves of my denim jacket and notice a woman and a man standing in front of David, waiting patiently. I didn't notice them enter the waiting room. David introduces me to the detectives when I get off the phone. The American Indian woman with high cheekbones, almond-shaped eyes, and straight inky black hair that's cut into a razor-sharp bob is Detective Rain Gibson. She wears dark slacks and a silk boysenberry colored blouse. She has large kind brown eyes. The man with lovely brown skin seems to be in his forties. He has a nice smile and soulful brown eyes. He wears a powder blue dress shirt tucked neatly into his navy blue trousers. He's Detective Darrius Williams. They both shake our hands.