THE VICTIM EDEN NOVEMBER 15

The results of the paternity test arrived in the mail and came in a manila folder. Angel stands by my side when I open it. My hands tremble as I pull the sheet of paper out. I glance down at the probability of paternity and see the percent of 99.99. The paper falls from my hands as I drop to my knees and burst into tears.

Angel scoops me into his arms, snatching the paper from the floor. He reads the results out loud and hugs me tight. "Darrius is your father, brown eyes."

"I know."

He wipes at my tears. "Happy tears, I assume?"

I nod.

He hugs me tighter. "I'm happy for you."

I sob harder. "I never imagine this. I wanted this so badly. I finally found a piece of myself. He's my father."

"You should call him and tell him."

I pull out my phone, find his number and call it.

He answers on the second ring. "Hey, sweetheart. How are you?"

"Dad," I croak.

"What's the matter, Eden?"

"Dad, the paternity test came back positive. You're my biological father."

"That's good, honey. That's wonderful. I never doubted for a second."

Angel holds me as I sob.

"Eden," my dad whispers softly. "Honey, breathe."

Inhaling, I blink the wetness from my eyes.

"You should come over today. I'll introduce you to Kam and Anna. They're excited to meet you."

"I'm on my way."

Angel drives me to my dad's house. My father lives in a beautiful residential neighborhood where the vibrant country houses are enclosed with picket fences, the manicured lawns are green, and children ride up and down the sidewalks on their bikes and rollerblades.

My father envelops me in his strong arms when I step out the car. "I love you, my precious girl."

I press my face into his chest, inhaling his scent. "I love you, too."

He invites us into his home. His wife is beautiful in a blue dress. She has short curly hair and big brown eyes. She greets me warmly with a tight hug, welcoming me into the family. My dad calls Kam from upstairs. I stand at the bottom of the stairs, looking at a young version of my father climb down. He has the exact brown eyes I do. He smiles ear to ear when he sees me and runs down the rest of the stairs and right into my arms with enough force to knock me off my feet. We land on the floor with our arms wrapped around each other.

"I'm glad I have a big sister," Kam says.

I'm crying and kissing his head. "I'm glad I have a younger brother."

Kam rises and helps me up. "We have so much to catch up on." He leads me to the living room. Their living room has family pictures on the walls and comfortable furniture. He ushers me to one of two leather armchairs that are pushed toward each other, divided by a small wooden table that has a notepad and pen in it.

"We're going to play twelve questions," Kam says. "It's like a short interview. This gives me a chance to know you better. Plus you're doing me a solid. This is actually a project for communication class. Can you help me?"

"Yes, of course. I'd love to help you."

"If you find any of the questions invasive or too personal, you don't have to answer."