ch.9

Lana stood on top of the platform in front of the mirror as the events from yesterday replayed in her mind. Lana's friendship with Finnick has been the best thing to come out of the games. This morning when they had their last and finale session together, it was hard. She tried keeping personal talk to a minimum and found herself detaching from their conversations as a way to make their departure less difficult. "Twirl for us." Pixie commanded.

Lana twirled for her escort and stylists. The dress Pixie designed for her was beautiful. It was a white dress with lace on the sleeves and top half while the bottom half reached the floor. The back of the dress had a few inches of fabric following behind it. The highlight of the dress was the back where it had a line of pearls running down her spine. Lana also wore a gorgeous diamond necklace and matching rings with white heels. They also straightened Lana's hair again and coated her with light make up.

"You look amazing." Pixie smiled as she brushed some of Lana's hair behind her shoulder. "You are by far my favorite model to have ever worked on."

"Thank you." Lana smiled so brightly her dimples could be seen from a mile away.

"C'mon now, they should be starting the interviews soon." Pixie said as she helped Lana off the platform. Once Lana made it in line Declan who was right in front of his sister smiled.

"You look very pretty." Declan complimented. Lana was beyond flattered and thanked him then returned the compliment. "Oh, this is my sister Emery."

"Hi, I'm Lana- "

Before Lana could finish, Emery cut her off. "I know who you are, and I would appreciate it very much if you'd leave us alone." Declan tried to protest, Emery ignored him and forced him to look forward. Lana didn't feel offended by the girl's actions. Lana understands Emery is just trying to keep her distance. What's the point of getting to know people if you know it's either going to be you, them or the both of you that's ends up dead.

"Ouch." Tyler chimed in. "Now she knows what she's doing."

Lana ignored him and instead watched as every tribute in front of her went out to do their interviews. The crowd obviously loved the career pack and even found Declan to be charming. The closer it was to her turn the more nervous she felt. The fact that she scored a 10 did calm her down. Once Emery was done with her interview Lana took a few deep breathes before having to go out there. Unexpectedly Tyler placed a hand on her shoulder and gave her a few words of encouragement. "You got this, Lana. Don't second guess it."

Lana turned her neck slightly to send him a grateful smile. "Back at you."

"Next up, the boys want her, the girls want to be her, and everyone in between absolutely adores her, give it up for District 4's female tribute, Lana Francis!" Caesar cheered. Lana blushed at the long and extremely flattering introduction Caesar gave her as she walked out. The crowd was excited to see her, more excited than she thought they'd be. "There she is. As beautiful as ever."

Caesar took Lana's hand and then jokingly dropped it and instead wrapped his arms around her. Lana confusingly returned the hug before they both took their seats. Once the crowd settled down, Caesar sighed tiredly. "You have no idea how long and badly we have all wanted to meet you. I mean when we first saw you at the opening ceremony you took us all by surprise. To go from this frightened little girl at the reaping to this glowing and fierce woman on a carriage? It was just such a noteworthy event to experience. Tell us, how did you do it?"

Lana thought about it for a second. She glanced at the excited audience then back at Caesar as she tried to come up with an answer. "When I was reaped, I was overwhelmed with a lot of emotion. I never thought a girl like me could have something like this happen to her but when I realized it actually did happen to me. I had to force myself out of my victimized state, I had to evolve."

"Well, I for one can say I am proud of you." Caesar turned to the audience. "Aren't we all?" The crowd begin cheering again as a way to show her that they agreed. Lana smiled to show her appreciation but felt nothing towards it. They aren't proud of her in the way Finnick is. When he told her he was proud of her, she felt butterflies in her stomach, she felt herself get slightly dizzy and most importantly she could feel it in her soul how genuine and authentic he was being. Here on this stage, she feels none of that. "Speaking of how proud we all are, how were you able to score a perfect 10? I know you can't tell us much about what happened in that private session with the Gamemaker's, but could you at least throw us a bone?" Caesar practically begged.

"I don't want to get in trouble but if you insist maybe I can spill a little bit. Just a little bit." The crowd laughed when she jokingly held her thumb and pointer finger together while squinting her eyes. "I went in there wanting to play it safe but left absolutely exceeding my own expectations. And clearly exceeding the Gamemaker's expectations." Trying to get another laugh out of the crowd Lana looked up at the section the Gamemaker's were sitting at and looked directly at Seneca Crane. "I do apologize for the mess; I promise I won't get as messy in the arena."

The crowd laughed at Lana's playful remarks. "You are just so adorable!" Caesar commented. "I think it's safe to say with that her beauty, charms and skills, we have a black widow on our hands!"

The crowd went ecstatic over the black widow comment. This was the first time anyone has ever compared her to such a deadly creature. Lana worries how disappointed the viewers will be once they realize just how unthreatening she really is. The score she received is definitely making her seem like a wild card.

"That is very flattering Caesar. How does anyone ever leave a conversation with you without having their ego totally bloated." Lana joked which the crowd laughed at.

"They don't, that's why I have so many friends." Caesar joked back, making the audience laugh even louder.

"Unfortunately, I'm going to have to let you go soon, is there anything you want to tell the people back home?" Caesar questioned in a more serious tone.

Lana believed this to be her chance to let her parents know that she was okay and that they didn't have to worry. Lana looked directly at one of the camera's before speaking. "Mom, dad, I'm okay. You don't have to worry about me. I've learned and grown so much. You'll have your little girl back in your arms in no time. Trust me and don't lose faith. No matter how bad it gets in the arena, don't lose faith."

"Beautiful." Caesar said as he reached for her hand. He helped her stand up in then rose her arm up with his. "Give it up for Lana Francis, everybody."