ch.17

Lana sat on the beige sand with her feet in the water. Today was a beautiful day. The sun was out yet the air was crisp, the waves were calm, and the birds sang tunes with the dolphins that dared to jump in the air. Lana looked around with a peaceful-like smile on her lips. She drew her eyebrows together when she saw how empty the beach was; on such a gorgeous day like this too. It shocked her. Just as she was about to lay on her back, a familiar voice called out for her. She turned around and her smile grew wider when she saw who it was. "Finnick." The girl got up and walked towards the man who was walking towards her. Once they stopped in the middle, she tried reaching for a hug, but her arms refused to move. "You made it!"

"I told you I would." Finnick said. "And I brought food."

"Oh, yes!" The girl cheered. "I was starving."

Finnick grinned as he laid out a blanket. "So, are you going to tell my why we're here?" He asked once they were both seated.

"It was a nice day out and I wanted to spend it out with someone." Lana answered as she began eating her favorite, blueberry pie.

"And I was the first person that you thought of?" Finnick smirked.

Lana rolled her eyes at his cockiness. "Yes."

"Well, I was thinking about you too." Finnick admitted.

"Really, why?" Lana asked while pouring herself a cup of hot chocolate.

"Something was just telling me you needed someone to talk to." Finnick said. "Tell me, Lana, what's wrong?"

At first Lana didn't want to answer. She just wanted to continue enjoying her slice of pie and hot drink. But she couldn't help being vulnerable with him. Those green eyes as soft as sunrise in the spring, they could get her to do and say anything he wanted. "I feel scared. I feel like when I was 5 years old, and it was my first day at the academy. I was shaking with fear and holding onto my mother's leg for dear life."

"What're you scared of right now?" Finnick asked.

"The games, my ex-allies, my new allies and their well-being, the tribute I killed, the future tributes I might have to kill." Lana answered. "And... dying."

"I thought you said you didn't care if you lived or died anymore." Finnick pointed out.

"I thought I didn't but being around Emery and Declan reminded me of all the good things life gives you. Like family for starters, I miss my parents. I miss my mom and the way she scoffs when dad starts bragging about his cooking skills or the way she smiles when he brings her dandelions that he picked on his way home from a 12-hour shift." Lana held back a few tears. "I miss my friends, most importantly my old best friend. Sandra. She has beautiful kinky curly hair that stops at her shoulders, her cheeks and nose are scattered with freckles that light up her face whenever she smiles."

"Where is Sandra?" Finnick asked.

"Back home, probably in her room reading some cheesy romance novel while eating a pack of sardines." Lana cringed.

"Sardines?" Finnick made a grossed-out face.

Lana laughed. "I know, Sandra's really weird with her sardines but I'd do anything to be at her front doorstep with a pack of them and a few other snacks asking if she wanted to spend the day in her room watching movies."

Finnick smiled. "Anything expect trying to survive the games?" Lana swore she felt her brain twitch at the comment. "You tell me you miss home; you miss your parents, and you miss your ex-best friend, who you can still mend your broken relationship with, but you've just decided to give up. All because you did what had to be done. You killed a tribute in self-defense."