ch.6

Lana and Tyler stepped off the elevator to the training center and made their way to their allies. "You two must be Lana and Tyler." One the girls said.

"Yeah, and you all?"

"I'm Penelope, and this is Darian, we're from District 2." The blonde smiled. "Then that's Peter and Iris, from District 1."

"It's good to meet all of you." Lana waved at them.

"Now that we're all here, which station should we go to?" Darian asked.

"As a group?" Lana questioned.

"Yeah, I mean by sticking together we can intimidate the others." Darian explained.

"I guess." Lana muttered. "Or we could split up in twos or threes so that we each have enough time to try out each station?"

"No—-"Before Darian could finish Peter cut him off. "Yeah, I like that idea. I call dibs on the cute one from 4." The group, minus Darian laughed as Peter wrapped an arm around Tyler. "Let's go."

The pair walked off. Darian and Penelope then partnered up which left Iris and Lana. "Where to first?" Lana asked.

"The crossbows." Iris spoke confidently.

"You're good?"

"I'm great. I've been using a crossbow since I was 7." Iris informed. "What about you? What're you useful with?"

Lana thought for a second. She knew her allies would have more experience than her and that they would be bigger and stronger and if she wants to make it far enough in the games, she'll have to impress them. "I'm good with knifes. I'm able to use them on land and water but mainly water."

"District 4... so fishermen? You fished a lot?" Iris asked.

"Yeah, a lot of the times without the bait and hook." Lana answered.

The answer satisfied Iris and the two went about their training for the next hour. The group ended up rotating partners every hour or so which allowed Lana to get to know each of them better. They were all very confident and assertive, Iris was a bit quieter and more reserved while Penelope was enthusiastic. Lana got along with everyone in the alliance although if they were back home and they were just some kids she went to school with she would've definitely not ever talked to them, and they would've done the same.

After group training was over it was time for her one on one with Finnick while Tyler had his one on one with Mags. Since Mags wasn't really allowed to be hands on with training, she decided to be Tyler's trainer since he was already so far ahead, physically. Lana on the other hand wasn't and desperately needed the attention of Finnick. In a matter-of-fact Mags wasn't supposed to be a mentor this year as she retired decades ago but the trainer before her passed away of an unknown illness and so Mags volunteered to take her place until there was another victor to replace her.

As Lana arrived for her private session with Finnick she played with the pearl bracelet on her wrist. Lana desperately missed home. She missed her mom, her dad and her friends. Lana doesn't really want to win the games, because to win you'd have to lose parts of yourself she doesn't think she's quite ready to lose, but as time goes on and her need to see home again grows so does her desire to win the games. "And she made it through the day in one piece." Finnick smiled as Lana walked through the door.

Lana chuckled as she walked towards Finnick. "So, how'd you like your allies?"

"Their... strong." Was all Lana could say. "The boy from 1 has a good sense of humor so he was fun to train with."

"Well, I'm glad to hear you're getting along with them." Finnick said, he then motioned for Lana to get inside the ring, she took off her shoes and proceeded.

"Now, first thing I want you to do is to punch me." Finnick said.

"Huh?"

"Punch me. Right here." Finnick said as he tapped his right cheek.

Lana thought for a second and balled up her fist. She wondered why he didn't just grab some patting for his hands and make her punch that. Her hand weakly swung as she went to punch him but before she could he grabbed her wrist and twisted it behind her back. He proceeded to grab the opposite side of her shoulder with his free hand and push her up against the rope that was fencing them in.

"Ow." She hissed in pain.

"What's your next move?" Finnick questioned, ignoring her sounds of discomfort.

Lana tried wiggling out of his grasp, but he was too strong. "To die apparently." Lana replied sarcastically.

"Mhh," Finnick tilted his head and got close to Lana's ear. "Try again."

Lana felt a tickle go down her spine and blushed. She tried wiggling out his grasp again but failed. "You know, this isn't even fair you caught me by surprise and you're way stronger than me."

"Well people in the arena won't be warning you before attacking, and we can't grow enough muscle for you to fend off just anyone in three days so figure it out." Finnick said as he tightened his grip around her.

As frustrated as Lana was, she got an idea, but it was an idea she definitely knew Finnick wouldn't like. "What're my limits? Is there anything I can't do?"

"No limits." Finnick said confidently. "Do your worst."

Lana slammed her head back. His head was tilted low enough that her head hit his nose. He stumbled back, holding onto his sore nose. Finnick cursed under his breath as Lana proudly rubbed her bruised wrist.

She tried holding back her smirk, but Finnick caught it. "You're enjoying this."

" Well..." Lana trailed off.

"I'm not going easy on you anymore." Finnick groaned as he tilted his head back. "I'll be back." He left and came back, minutes later holding a bag of ice to his nose.

"I did not hit you that hard." Lana rolled her eyes.

"Tell that to my throbbing, pink nose." Finnick replied.

Lana chuckled. "Point Lana."

"Oh , you're definitely going to regret making this a competition." Finnick smirked and with that the two went back to training.