Chapter 28: Sparkbreak

Emma's POV:

"So, Alpha Trion was like your teacher?" I ask Optimus, who's been putting up with my endless questions for like, twenty minutes now.

"Affirmative." He nods, surprisingly not seeming bothered at all.

"Gah! Optimus!" Vess bursts into the base, panting and clutching her chest as if she just saw Megatron wearing a skirt, walking a poodle, and talking on a pink flip phone.

Optimus looks alarmed as he turns to her, his optics worried.

"R...Ratchet's.... dead." She coughs out the word, closing her optics in grief and holding her breath, a bit over dramatic.

The look that floods into Optimus's optics breaks my heart, and he suddenly becomes distant, he closes his optics and lets out a shaky and grief filled sigh. "No..." I hear him gently whisper.

Tears are coming to my eyes, pain claws at my heart, and my legs can't support me anymore, so I fall to my knees and cover my face with my hands. I hear Raf sniff and start crying as well, Jack and Miko are comforting him.

Everence walks over to Optimus and rests a hand on his shoulder, but Optimus takes a step back and away from her. He stumbles, and even though he pushed her away the first time,  Everence leads him to the medical bay and sits him down. She looks struck as well, and that's when I see it. Vess is smiling.

Optimus's POV:

"Ratchet, are you..."

"B...bleeding to death... and a little sore... but I'm okay..."

The memory flashes through my processor, the memory of Ratchet, and Overdrive, and us being a team. No... he can't be...

"What happened?" Ultra Malachite growls at Vess.

"We were fighting Decepticons, and..." Her voice becomes shaky, and her optics fill with pain. Fake pain. You can't fool a Prime.

I leap up and charge her, pinning her down and holding my sword to her throat. She had something to do with this.

"Gah!" She gasps, staring up at me with scared and innocent optics.

"Tell me the truth." I growl. "Who killed him?"

Vess smiles. "Hmm. Smart one, aren't you Prime?"

"Answer me!" My voice comes out menacing and dangerous.

"I did. I killed your precious medic. And you know what Optimus?" Vess leans in close to me.  "Your next."

Alto pounces and throws me off of Vess, and I hit the ground hard. Alto points his cannon at me, but Arcee and Bumblebee pounce on him, and I see Ultra Malachite and Bulkhead going after Vess. Everence runs to my side and offers a hand to help me up, which I accept.

"Everence, we have to find Ratchet." I say to her.

"Optimus, he's gone." She whispers, shaking her helm slightly.

No! Pain sears my spark, tearing it to nothing.