Preface~Tell me this is just a dream

"So this is what a dormat asshat looks like."

Draco Malfoy groggily woke up to find Samantha Lockwood stood over him, juggling two bottles of empty firewhisky in her arms. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"It's your happy death eater induction day, remember?" she snapped, dropping the bottles on sheets strewn across the floor and swishing open the curtains. Draco hid from the light, wishing he'd never woke up. "Jesus, you should be glad your mother didn't come in here. It stinks of teenage boy."

"I am a teenage boy." He snapped. "Get out of my room."

As always, Sam didn't listen, and sat on Draco's armchair, hand on her chin. "Dude, you're a mess."

Draco scowled at her. He'd known Sam since they were children and after so long could still get on every single million of his nerves.

"Tell me something I don't know." He snapped, pulling a shirt over his head.

"Drinking away problems is a speciality of mine, but not generally when it was my own free will do do something." Sam said. "You fucked it all up, let's be honest."

Memories of that day bubbled up in Draco's mind again, and he winced. "Don't you think I know that? I had no other choice. I had to act like that. It had to be honest."

"Oh really?" Sam said sarcastically, putting her feet up on the table. "So nothing was real? The whole three years of whining of how beautiful Aurora Potter was, and how she made you a better person was a lie?"

"Of course not." Draco whispered. "But she had to believe it."

Draco had know he was going to become a death eater for months, since February to be precise. But he'd pushed it to the back of his mind, enjoyed time with his girlfriend--allowed himself to be happy.

He knew how dangerous it was for them to be together before The Dark Lord returned, and couldn't imagine what he'd be forced to do to Rory if they'd stayed together...

"I could have used imperio on you," Sam said quietly. "It would have been kinder."

That was the worst part of it all, that it'd been all his own words, it hadn't been somebody else speaking for him.

She got up, brushing off dust from her short black dress. She had high black heels on as well, with dark eye make-up and her dark mark visibly showing. As she placed her hands on Draco's shoulders, she was close to his height.

"I'll come back in ten minutes. He doesn't like it if you're late for meetings." She gave a faint smile, and left the room.

Draco dressed into his black suit and combed his hair to the side, a dark feeling of dread in his stomach. He's seen photos of his father in a similar suit when he was younger, and had wanted to look as cool and smart as him.

His father had picked him up and told him one day, one day he would wear a suit like that and serve The Dark Lord like he always had. This had filled Draco with pride and excitement, but now it just filled him with a dark and bitter sadness.

He supposed that was the humanity Rory gave him was kicking in.

Draco walked to his bed, pulling the photo out he always kept under there. It was an off guard photo of Rory he took one day, shortly before the day he ended it all. She was looking through the photo album he gave her for Christmas, a faint smile on her face as her hair blew in the breeze.

The photo Rory lunged forward with a grin, shouting at him to stop taking photos. She'd kissed him after that, and they'd laughed.

With a deep ache, he stashed the photo away, just as Sam watlzed in. "He's ready for you."