Wedding

The next few days passed quickly. I trained along with the Demigods on learning to kill demons. I haven’t heard any news from the Elementals ever since we encountered in Jesseltown so I figured they are not going to get involved.

I haven’t seen Augustus as well. It is making me go out of my mind without him around. Whenever I’m alone, I would try to call his number, only to leave a voicemail.

I see Lisbeth now and then sticking closely to Caleb. The two of them are like two peas in a pod. You can’t see one without the other one nearby. Eleanor sometimes join them, occasionally laughing and talking.

Wendy spends more time with Bibiana, catching up with what happened for the last few years.

I am also aware that Nate’s wedding is closing in. The days fly past me like it is a plastic bag blown by a strong wind. Before I know it, I wake up on the day I’ll finally see my twin brother.

“Good morning, Mel,” mum greets me when I enter the kitchen. I give her a tired smile and take a seat opposite from her where a bowl of cereals is already prepared for me.

“Good morning and thanks,” I tell her. We quietly finish our breakfast. I notice that the mansion is quiet. Too quiet for my taste.

“Where’s dad?” I ask her.

“He’s training the other shifters,” she replies.

It is almost the same thing we said yesterday and the day before. I would ask where is dad and she would answer the same thing. I feel almost machine-like after Augustus’s disappearance. Wake up, have breakfast, exchange small talk with mum, train, talk to Lisbeth during lunch, sit by the river Augustus jumped in, walk home, have dinner, and sleep.

“Melanie, are you going to the wedding later?” mum asks me casually, sipping her coffee.

“What time will the wedding start?” I glance at the clock on the wall. It is ten in the morning. Not to mention it is a Sunday so there’s no training for me today.

“Eleven. You better get dressed if you want to be there early,” she warns.

My eyes widen when she say this. “Eleven? Shoot, I have one hour!” I abandon my breakfast and run up to my room to have a shower.

The excitement is filling in my stomach at the thought I’m going to see my twin getting married! Not just that, I'll also have the chance to see my old friends and niece even when they don’t know that it’s me.

I dig in my closet to find a perfect black dress, short enough to expose my legs. My watch shows that I have another half an hour to get ready. I put on light makeup and look myself at my work. My face is still unrecognizable compared to the true Melanie face. That doesn’t mean the demons don’t know how I look like.

A dark expression replaces my happy mood.

I have a strange feeling Mr. Muller was killed by a demon. They know my face now. They know Lisbeth is the Peacekeeper.

I can’t lose anyone anymore. Two people in my life are gone just so they can pick a fight with the gods.

The door knocks, making me snap out of my reverie. I open the door only to find Augustus in a suit.

“Hi,” he says.

I give him a hard look. “Hi? That’s all you have to say after what happened the last few days? Hi?”

Augustus rubs the back of his neck. “I’m sorry, Mel.”

“Well, sorry no cure unless you decide to tell me your reason for disappearing without telling me what’s going on,” I cajole, crossing my arms.