Chapter 7

Waking up to soft shuffling noises and slow clicking of crutches, Magda rolls around in her bed to the sight of Pernille getting ready. It's early. Magda picks up her phone, 6:18 am early, twelve minutes before her alarm. Soccer practice was at 7 am.

It's Monday. Sunday went by in a blur of western cowboys and cowgirls as the two spent the majority of the day watching the remainder of Westworld along with some light studying and two trips to the dining hall, lunch and dinner. While accompanying Pernille to the dining commons, Magda automatically served as Pernille's set of hands – grabbing an extra tray and filling it with Pernilles's requests. Their Sunday was pleasant, friendly and easy. Animosity long went and their schedule of avoidance, forgotten.

"P, what are you doing?" Magda mumbles from across the room.

"I'm getting ready for soccer practice."

Magda scrunches her face in confusion, "What? Didn't think I'd have to remind you, but your leg is broken, remember?"

Though room poorly lit, Magda felt her roommate's skeptical glance.

"I'm not sleeping in while the rest of my team practices every morning. Plus, I had some ideas I wanted to share with Coach Sjögren," replies Pernille as she hops around to get dressed, "And... now that it takes me twice as long to get ready, I have to get up earlier. Sorry... if I woke you."

Magda yawns while tossing her feet over the side of the bed, "It's alright, my alarm was about to go off anyway," she says, reaching for her soccer bag and clothes.

Fully dressed and ready to go in fifteen minutes, Magda is awaiting Pernille.

"Need me to help you carry anything?" Magda offers.

"No thanks," Pernille replies casually while shouldering her backpack, "I think I got it."

Shuffling out the door, Magda and Pernille are met with warm morning air, autumn approaching and no longer mucky with heavy humidity as temperatures gradually dropped. Both comfortable in t-shirts and shorts.

-

They arrive at the field and Pernille breaks off to the sidelines, taking a seat and pulling out a pen and notebook.

"Morning, Pernille."

"Morning, Coach."

"It's not mandatory for you to attend practice, Pernille. Just your presence at the games."

"I know, but... it doesn't feel right. The rest of the team practicing every morning."

Coach Sjögren nods at Pernille's commitment.

"Plus, I thought I could take some notes," Pernille struggles to stand, but does so and balances on one foot, showing Sjögren her notebook, "I um, I have some play ideas?"

Sjögren takes a quick look at Pernille's drawings, they were sound with notes on individual player's strengths, weaknesses, etc.

"Hm, these look fairly good. Keep going and maybe we'll sit down later this week and see how we can implement them during practice?"

Pernille smiles at her coach's regard, "Thanks, Coach."

Depositing herself back down, Pernille watches her teammates practice. Given the opportunity to sit and observe, Pernille noticed. Magda was good. Truly blinded by her self-interest and initial dislike of the blonde, Magda stood out even among the seniors. Not only fast, but strong. Brute strength and force when she kicked the ball, but also handled with neat precision. Pernille was impressed.