Chapter 20

*Luke's P.O.V*

Ashton and I were both in agreement that it was far too early in our relationship to shower together, and circumstances such as his current injuries only supported the decision. Because of this, I thought he might need a little more time than I so he went off to the bathroom first, leaving me alone with my mother.

"Dinner is almost ready," she smiled as I stumbled into the kitchen, removing a pan from the stove before giving me her full attention. "Hope you boys are hungry."

"Actually, we're going out for dinner," I shrugged apologetically.

"What do you mean?'" She asked, her immediate reaction suggesting frustration. But when Luke smiled weakly at her, she came to suspect what he was implying.

"I'm, uh, taking him out?"

"Taking him out," she raised an eyebrow. "On a date? You're taking him on a date?"

Luke suddenly felt reluctant to continue, not fully able to predict how his mother would react to the news. "Yeah?"

"I knew it!" She cheered, bringing her palms together as a clap and sighing with relief. "I saw the way you looked at that boy and it wasn't just friendship, I can tell you that."

I smiled nervously, concerned at how obvious it must've been if she'd managed to figure it out. "So, does that mean you're okay with it? With us going out together?"

"Of course I am, sweetheart. Don't worry about my dinner, I'm sure those brothers of yours will be starving when they get back. I'm so proud of you, Luke, I can't believe my little boy is going on his first date."

Trying not to appear too surprised by how calmly she had reacted, I laughed and hugged her. So, when I heard the shower go off, I was extremely grateful to have been able to leave the room. My mum was great, she really was, but I couldn't help but feel distant with her after everything that had changed.

I wasn't looking where I was going when I started on the stairs, so when I reached the top I felt myself bash into who I could only assume was Ashton. And yes, my assumption was right.

"Sorry," he whimpered, even though it wasn't his fault in the slightest. Despite his efforts in attempting to hide it, he was obviously in pain and he pulled his towel up so it covered his body much better than before.

He tried to walk on past me, but I would never forgive myself for not asking why he was upset. Not caring about getting wet, seeing as I was about to get in the shower, I gently pulled Ashton towards me and buried my head into his hair. "What's wrong, Ash?"

"Nothing, I promise," he whispered softly, and I let it go despite not being entirely convinced. He gave me a small, lopsided smile before proceeding to the spare room, where I told him he would find some clothes to wear.

All I could do then was sigh and rush to the bathroom, wanting to shower as quickly as possible so Ashton wasn't left alone for too long. When I was out, I wrapped a towel around my waist and walked to my bedroom to get dressed.

I had already chosen my outfit, deciding that my usual black skinny jeans and a navy shirt I found in the back of my wardrobe fit the occasion perfectly. It revealed my inked arms but I knew Ashton wouldn't be bothered by it - if anything he'd be impressed I was making the effort.

Fixing my hair was by far the hardest challenge I faced, but once I had managed to get a brush through it and it looked more presentable than before, I was satisfied and returned downstairs to talk to my mum.

"Hey, mu-"

But she interrupted. "Wow."

It confused me slightly, and I tilted my head. "Huh?"

"Sorry, you just look so grown up," she smiled. She rarely complimented me like that, since I was the black sheep of the family - quite literally - and I doubted she ever thought I'd be going on a date.

"Thanks? Anyway, I was just wondering if you could please check on Ashton? I would, but, you know-"

"Yeah, I get it hun," she replied, smiling. "I'll see if he's getting on alright."

"Thanks."

I watched her go upstairs and knock on Ashton's door, and then came their murmured voices, but none that I could clearly identify as words. Then Ashton's voice raised, and I strained to hear it but still couldn't quite catch what he said. That worried me. What had my mum said? But more importantly, what had Ashton shouted back?

I started to head up the stairs, but my mum came down and motioned for me to follow her into the living room. She didn't look particularly happy and upon noticing this, I was immediately filled with dread of what she was about to say - especially since I knew my mum wouldn't sugarcoat it.

"Luke, I know this whole situation is rather unusual and I'm not saying you should cancel your plans for tonight, but you need to talk to Ashton. Everything that's happening right now must feel so surreal to him, and he's had so little time to get his head around it all. It's the first time he's been alone since his accident, reassurance is something he could really do with."

It felt like a slap in the face, if I was honest. Having been so preoccupied with making sure everything was perfect, I didn't really stop to consider how he was feeling. He wanted the same thing as me, or at least I hoped so, but that didn't mean he was okay. "Yeah, thanks mum. I'll go talk to him."

Now a lot more nervous than before, I hesitantly took to the stairs. At the top, I slid down his door with my back pressed against the wood, knowing this was the easiest way to talk as going inside might overwhelm him. "Ash, please tell me what's wrong. I'm worried about you."

Silence.

"Is this about your dad? Your fall? Me?"

A small sob.

"Oh god, please talk to me," I begged, needing so desperately to hear his voice to convince me that he was okay.

"I'm so sorry, Luke," he sniffled. "Everything is just changing so fast, it's like I don't even have the time to catch my breath. I want everything to go back to the way it was before, you know?"

That last part was absolutely heartbreaking to hear, as he'd been happy and lived a fairly carefree life until I came into the picture. Going back would mean abandoning us, and however much I hated to accept it, it would be so much better for him that way. "Me too."

"L-Luke?" He stammered, and although his voice was shaky he sounded a little calmer now.

"Yeah?"

"I still want to go on the date," Ashton continued, "I really do. Focusing on the future is so much healthier than dwelling on the past, although you'll have to put up with me looking a mess."

Although we both knew it was fake, I managed to laugh, but the words that passed my lips were nothing but truth. "You'll look perfect, I know you will."

With that, he unlocked the door from the other side and I climbed to my feet. Ashton stood awkwardly in the door frame, holding his plastered wrist to his chest protectively as we both remained silent for a moment.

It was time.

~~~~~~~

A/n: BOOM

This was pretty terrible I know bUT NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE THE DATE SCENE AND A LOT IS GOING TO HAPPEN SO PREPARE YOUR LOVELY SELVES

I honestly can't write anything remotely cute so I'm sorry but I tried so I hope you like :) xxx