Chapter 16

The rest of the day was unpleasant. I couldn't stop thinking about Matt. I love him and he loves me - why can't it just be as simple as that? Ugh.

After Kristen dropped my off at home I started doing homework like a good student - until I heard my brother's door slam shut. I jumped.

"What's wrong." I asked - walking into his room and not bothering to knock. Jake was lying face down on his bed.

"I'm fucked." he mumbled into the blanket.

"Why?" I asked, plopping down on his bed. He lifted himself up onto his elbows and turned his head to look at me. He didn't say anything for a moment.

"I need a soccer scholarship." Jake said.

"I know - and you're awesome." I said - still confused.

"The team isn't going to nationals." Jake said quietly. 

"You guys are like the best in your division." I stated - still confused!

"Matt's dropping out." I thought about that.

"Why does that matter?" I asked.

"Our lead goal scorer is quitting indefinitely - we're fucked!" he groaned. Then he shook his head.

"I hate him - but without Matt we have no offense." he said.

"That can't be - the team can't depend on one person." I pointed out.

"Me, Matt and Sam are the team." Jake said sadly. Okay, I know this doesn't sound like a big deal but Jake's life is soccer. He lives for the sport - although I have no idea why, it's way too violent for me.

"Jake, you're only a junior - you have next year." I said. He shook his head.

"Our rank is going to drop like hell - and from there, only shitty colleges will scout our games." he said. I gave up. I got up and left. Why the hell would Matt screw his team over like this? I swear - the number of times that Matt destroys me and my brothers lives, is freaking ridiculous!

I ate dinner alone because Jake was locked in his room, mourning the death of his soccer life as if someone just died. My parents didn't come home - which wasn't a surprise, they are rarely home by dinner.

The next morning Jake went to school in his PJs. His hair was a complete mess and he had bags under his eyes. This didn't stop all the girls from staring at him.

"Dude, you look like shit." Evan said, walking up behind us. Jake didn't say anything. Jake just looked away.

"Soccer?" Evan asked. I nodded. 

"Alright man, don't worry about it, we'll figure something out." Evan said optimistically.

"I'm going to die." Jake said seriously. I frowned and looked at Evan. He mouthed 'don't worry.' I ignored it. Some girl I have never seen before ran up ot Jake and gave him a hug during which she pressed her boobs up against my brother - so not okay! Jake didn't hug back - but she didn't seem to notice.

"Hey hey! I'm totally digging this new look." she said in a flirty way, gesturing to my brothers 'in mourning' outfit. I smiled and looked away - this girl was a total idiot. Jake was staring off ahead of him. This still didn't seem to bother the girl.

"Okay Jake! Well I gotta go - see ya!" she said.

"Bye." he mumbled as she walked off.

"Dude!" Evan gasped.

"She's hot, what's wrong with you." he pressed. No response from Jake. Okay, I have to do something.

"Don't worry Jakey, I'll fix this." I said. I don't think he heard me. Evan grabbed my arm as I walked off.