Chapter 6

****************

So there we were. In the middle of a forrest. How the hell did we get lost so close to home?

I sat on a log, placed my elbows on my legs, my chin in my palms and stared out at the endless rows of tall trees ahead of me. Matt glanced at me with worry.

"Don't you have a phone?" I asked him sharply, remembering that I had left mine at home. He pulled out his phone and stared at it for a second.

"No reception." he sighed. Of course not! Why would I be granted an easy way out of this?

"Whatever," I said standing up and walking down another path.

"Where are you going?" Matt asked walking after me.

"Away from you." I replied, my back turned to him.

"Oh come on Nicole, I get that you're mad but you're not suicidal!" he exclaimed.

"Suicidal?" I repeated turning to Matt. Was he kidding? He didn't think that I could get out of this forrest by myself!

"This forrest is not that big, I can get out by myself." I continued, "The only thing that would make me suicidal is being near you." His dark green eyes looked hurt at this remark. I don't see why. I mean clearly cares for nothing but his booty calls.

"Please." Matt said. "I'll leave you alone after we get out of here - but please don't leave now." he looked like a little boy lost. I rolled my eyes. Maybe two heads were better than one. Working together, we would get out of this place faster - wouldn't we?

I didn't reply, and he took this as a cue to follow me. He walked behind me in silence for a while - I didn't have a watch and I was reluctant to ask the time so I guessed it was about three in the afternoon.

The further we walked the more lost we got. I only say that because all I saw for trees and that trend did not look like it was ending anytime soon. We came to a narrow pathway that sat on a really steep hill. I stepped on a log and nearly tripped.

"Be careful," Matt cautioned. I ignored him and sped up. I got my foot caught in a rock and started to turn dramatically trying to cut myself free.

"Woah, watch out!" Matt yelled. Too late. I was half way of the hill and Matt grabbed my hand. I'm not really sure what happened but the the next thing I remember was tumbling down the hill, my hand tightly in Matt's. Lucky for us the hill was short even if it was steep. Unlucky for me, my ankle started to hurt. Now I've had plenty of minor injuries like this before, where the pain subsides in minutes.

But when I stood up and fell back down, I realized this wasn't another minor injury.

"Shit Nicole, what happened?" Matt said helping me up from the ground. When he pulled me up, I tried to regain my balance but I couldn't and I fell right into him. And let me tell you, his body was like heaven to fall against. But that's besides the point.

There was that split second where I was in his arms (he was holding me up) and I was pressed against his body. His hair was brown and shaggy from the fall, his eyes were concerned as they held mine.

"What is it?" he asked. I think, referring to the pain.

"Nothing," I answered. He raised his eyebrows.

"My ankle." I surrendered. He smirked at my reluctance to admit I was hurt.

"Lean on me," he said without a thought. He took my right arm and hung it around his shoulder, putting his own arm around my waist and taking off a lot of the weight on my hurt ankle. We walked a bit further - this time at a much slower pace, seeing as I was handicapped.