07| warmth

⌜◌⌟

⌜◌⌟

          Sweaty palms tightly clench my crinkled skirt, my breath unknowingly stilled as I watch my basketball team wholeheartedly compete against Seirin High from the benches. The Winter Cup finale is unrealistically intense and equally nerve-wracking. Akashi is drawing out the potential of his teammates to a level approaching the Zone, while Kagami Taiga has entered the true Zone, strengthening his own team. Suddenly a rough hand falls on my head, lightly ruffling my brown locks to soothe my anxiety. Looking up, I see Shirogane Eiji, our beloved coach, giving me a rare reassuring smile. I deliberately return it with a grin, my heart still hammering brutally inside my ribcages but momentarily feeling better than earlier. My sight then draws to Akashi, his slumped figure and ragged breathing confirming the toll and exhaustion on his body, but he keeps pushing himself to win.

"What?" The palm on my head freezes, my mouth gaps when Seirin's ball drops into the hoop. Rakuzan is still on the lead with 105 points to 104 points, but everything is now coming down to the final rebound with Seirin's Hyuga Junpei taking the shot.

To win, Seirin has to get only two points.

Hyuga throws the basketball, intentionally hitting the orange rim of the net, initiating the rebound. My eyes proceed to follow the ball, which falls onto the hands of the Generation of Miracle's famous phantom, Kuroko Tetsuya. I suddenly find myself quickly rising from the benches, lips bitten and hands tensely gripping into my Rakuzan track jacket as Akashi springs to block Kuroko from shooting.

However. that did not work.

Kuroko launches his phantom shot, nearly smacking the ball into Akashi's hand as it passes over him and drops into Kagami's, who was already in midair and powerfully slams it into the hoop with a roar.

Rakuzan High lost.

The crowd screams for their victory as the whole Seirin team come together at the center of the court. Forcefully, I look away from the victor and glance at my team's dishearten state. Hayama has fallen onto his behind with eyes wide in utter surprise as Mibuchi tightly shuts their eyes away from Seirin, obviously not wanting to see them while Ekichi was left aghast by the events. Mayuzumi Chihiro, our phantom, stood beside Hayama in disbelief. I watch Akashi gradually come back to his senses -clearly having experienced his first-ever loss- and raise his hand to shake Kuroko's hand, who happily does so.

Once Seirin High's celebration was over, we silently returned to our locker room. Hayama cursed out loud, banging his hand against the lockers and lamenting in anger. Mibuchi immediately allows their tears to flow freely down their milky cheeks, nose slowly crimsoning from the constant sniffling. Eichi fell on the floor, knees propped up and head between his hands as his shoulders trembled, preferring to silence his sadness. Mayuzumi already left the room alone. And finally, Akashi slumped carelessly on the bench in the corner, motionless with a white towel on his head, arms leaning on his thighs. My heart clenched at the aching sight, never once seeing everyone looking so discouraged by a game. I suddenly felt tears trickling down my face, feeling the regret of not doing enough for them— I should have done a better job as manager.

"It is unfortunate we have not won the final," Shirogane voice booms within the locker room, bringing everyone's attention to him, "But don't let that affect your future games. We are the Rakuzan basketball team, and we will grow stronger as a team to win next time. Is that clear?"

"Yes, coach!"

His short speech somewhat uplifted the spirits in the room, and it was definitely not cheerful or anything close, but everyone is now capable of functioning to return home— everyone but Akashi. I stand beside the door, allowing everyone else to leave the locker room, and as the last person approaches, Mibuchi whispers, "he needs you the most, now"

I quietly nod in response. I know that. As soon as the door shuts behind me, I bring my full attention to the captain.

"I'm sorry, Oikawa," he immediately begins, his head still hanging low. I froze, absolutely bewildered by the sudden apology and usage of my last name. "You've worked so hard, yet I've never thanked you for it. Moreover, we lost. I understand if you'd like to quit your position now, I did, in fact, force you into it."

"Akashi-kun," I softly let out, quickly sitting close beside him. Moderately, he looks up to me, his pair of red iris still shimmering from shredded tears. I feel my chest contracting at his vulnerable state -a scene I would never want to see again- as I hesitantly take his right hand between my palms, "t apologize. You may have forced me into this, but I'm glad you did. I'm having so much fun playing manager of this team— I actually like it way better than volleyball. You finally gave me something to be passionate about."

"And please," I continue as Akashi furrows his eyebrows in confusion, "Katsumi is fine. Oikawa sounds a bit weird now."

He chuckles in response, my face slightly reddening at the adorable sound coming from him, "Then please, do call me Seijuro."

"Sei-kun?"

The attractive smile on his lips widens, then brings the available hand to clasp it over my right hand, "That's perfectly fine, as well."

The timing and atmosphere were perfect. After nervously inwardly building up some courage, I utter, "Would you like a hug, Sei-kun?"

His eyes dramatically broaden in surprise at my offer, lips agape. I almost scurried away in embarrassment from his reaction as I attempt to explain, "I— I'm so sorry! I thought it would help you feel better, but—"

"Yes, please," he hastily interrupted, as though afraid I would retract the offer. Shyly, I opened my arms, and awkwardly he wrapped his arms around my waist, tucking his face into the curve of my neck. I slid my arms around his torso as we leisurely and assuredly melted within each other's embrace, now feeling absolutely comfortable and content.

"It has been a while since I have had a hug," his voice cracked when he murmured almost inaudibly, his hair softly tickling my left cheek, silent tears staining my shoulder, "I forgot how— how warm it felt."

Settling a hand behind his head, I bring him closer to me, "I'll always be there for you, Sei-kun, whether it is just for support or even a hug. I'll always be there."

| to be continued