05| miracle players

⌜◌⌟

⌜◌⌟

          Once finally completing the remaining school work, I immediately fling myself on my soft bed, prompting me to sigh in utter relaxation as my body hits the endless fluffs of pillows. Forcefully stretching my arms to the side, I reach for my laptop on the desk to watch the several basketball matches Higuchi had recommended me earlier to watch as part of my learning, briefly mentioning the all-famous Generation of Miracles. Countless videos appear on the screen, some being professionally recorded matches and the majority being compilations of certain moments. Scrolling through the options, the Generation of Miracles only seemed to be an unbeatable junior high team until I came across the thumbnail of a certain red-haired captain.

No way. Akashi used to be a member of this powerful team— a captain too? He's just full of surprises, isn't he?

I touch on the uploaded video that piqued my curiosity the most, the blue screen instantly glowing on my profile as I shuffled under the comfort of my blanket. Subconsciously, my pupils begin to follow every single player's movement as I come to understand basketball better. The noise of peoples and vehicles on the street outside completely tunes out, my attention focused solely on the match. The movement, the strategy, the unique abilities, the strengtheverything was enthralling.

Especially Akashi. In the video, he seems so youthful and cutesy as he smiled at his old teammates, as though he was really enjoying the sport the complete opposite of what he said a few days, about how winning is all that mattered. I also observed the other players, Aomine Daiki and Kuroko Tetsuya fist-bumping as they skipped back to their side, Kise Ryota slinging his sweaty arm over Midorima Shintaro's shoulders. Murasakibara Atsushi sat on the bench with a towel on his head and an almost unnoticeable grin as he watches his teammates.

Everyone was having fun.

Does Akashi not like basketball anymore? No, that is very unlikely since he could easily leave the basketball team. And his eyes completely throw me off. Was he not born heterochromic? He definitely has two red irises during this old match, and now his left is orange. Something must have happened to change him like that—

And my computer shuts down.

Kuso

"Right when things were getting more interesting!" I quickly sat up straight with disappointment, then shook my device in confusion and utter frustration. And finally, the cursed white low battery sign popped on the screen.

I huff in annoyance, groaning as I stretch my body once more to plug the charger into my laptop. Slumping into my bed with my back against the sheets, I think of what I had just discovered about my captain. To think Akashi used to be such a cute smiling boy. If only there is a way I could restore that youthfulness, but who am I to make such an impact on him. We barely know each other and talk only when necessary, which does not improve our relationship whatsoever.

Though, I bet Akashi would look just as cute if he still smiled like that—

My body stills once the thought deliberately sunk in, bringing my entire body into flames as I vigorously swing my head to eliminate the embarrassing perceptions popping inside my mind. I nervously sigh over my inner dilemma and push myself to roll until I can shove my face into my cold pillow, attempting to forget the earlier thoughts.

However, I did not expect myself to be so invested in that single basketball match. There is no denying that I genuinely enjoyed it, nothing like volleyball.

I smile as soon as I realize that this sport could be my thing. I never found myself passionate about something, never coming close to Tooru and Iwaizumi's enthusiasm for volleyball.

But for basketball, I can actually see myself being just as passionate. 

| to be continued