Insecurity

Cool air brushed my cheeks and a chill crawled up my spine. I shivered roughly, sighing as I snuggled into Oliver’s warm body.
  “Accio.” He whispered.
  Still half asleep, I shivered again. It is pitch black in the common room and I was about to shake myself awake to start up another fire when a blanket was placed over me. The sudden warmth brought me a sense of peace and comfort.
  “Sleep well, Love,” Oliver whispered in my ear.
  Oh, I wish he would stop doing that. Hearing his smooth accented voice in my ear was driving me crazy. I started to drift off again as Oliver wrapped his arm around me and held my hand. I wish we could stay like this forever. I felt as Oliver brushed my hair from my face and started giving me light kisses on my face and neck.
  I giggled sleepily, “Who can sleep well when they have the cutest guy in school giving them kisses?”
  He chuckled, “How long have you been awake?”
  “Only a little while. When I got cold.”
  He smiled, stroking my hair and pressing against me. He was really warm and it felt good. A week ago, I would have never expected this to happen. To meet the sweetest guy and to feel loved. Growing up, I only had a couple friends and I was bullied in school for a long time. I used to have crushes on guys and they would always say that they only see me as a friend, use it against me or blatantly say “no.” I guess that’s another reason I was scared about the whole thing with Oliver and Percy. Deep down inside, I felt like it was all an act. If it was real, someone would get hurt. If not, I would be torn to shreds. Doubt began to cloud my mind and my eyes began to water. I hate what my past has done to my sense of judgment.
  “What’s wrong?” Oliver asked, turning me to face him. “Does this have to do with the rivalry?”
  “No… Something else…”
  Oliver lifted my chin with his hand, “What happened?”
  “Before I answer, may I ask you something?”
  His jaw set, “Anything.”
  I licked my lips and swallowed, “Why are you here?”
  He looked at me, “To be with you. Why else?”
  “No, I mean why are with me?”
  He seemed confused, “Because you’re my girlfriend now and I care about you. I should be the one asking why you’re here.”
  “I’m here because I really like you,”
  Oliver gave me a gentle kiss on the lips, “What brought this up, Love?”
  I sighed, “Just past experiences. I’m used to nobody liking me as more than a friend, if even that.”
  His eyes widened in horror as if I said I had killed someone, “You mean to tell me that nobody else has liked you?”
  I just nodded. I’m sure he was just humoring me. I was about to get off the couch and head upstairs when he brushed my cheek with his fingers and kissed me again.
  “That’s the best thing I’ve ever heard,” he grinned.
  I stared at him in confusion.
  He laughed, “It means something. I haven’t been with anyone either and now that I look back on it, I’m happy you’re my first.”
  I had nothing to say. His words were so sweet and made perfect sense!
  “And…” he continued as he held me tightly, “Even though I don’t believe you, I won’t have to worry during summer.”
  “Worry about what?”
  He looked into my eyes a bit sadly, “Have you taken from me.”
  I smiled at him, kissing his cheek, “I won’t be. I never will.”
  He gazed into my eyes and smiled sweetly. A shadow of doubt still seemed to lurk in his heart. I could see it. I blinked sleepily as the common room started to fade in light. Oliver kissed my head and wrapped me in a warm embrace. I shouldn't fall asleep again, but everything seemed all right with the world. My breathing slowed as I began to drift. I could feel Oliver pull the blanket he summoned up to my chin to keep me warm. Traces of a contented smile curled the edges of my lips. Oliver started humming quietly in my ear, keeping me tightly in his arms. I sighed and faded out.
*Oliver’s Point of View*
  I woke up in a haze. It was probably about four in the morning and the common room was pitch black. I yawned and a chilly breeze flowed through the room. Immediately, Crystal’s sleeping figure shuddered from the cold. I remembered something she had upstairs and smiled down at her.
  “Accio.” I whispered.
  Crystal shivered violently again. I looked up to see her blanket coming down from the girls’ staircase, floating up and covering her.
  “Sleep well, Love,” I breathed in her ear.
  I started to kiss her lightly on her neck and face. Treasuring the privilege to do so.
  She stirred and giggled, “Who can sleep well when they have the cutest guy in school giving them kisses?”
  I chuckled, “How long have you been awake?”
  “Only a little while. When I got cold.”
  I couldn’t help but smile, stroking her hair and pressing against her. I felt her snuggle into me and grinned. We sat in silence for several minutes and I noticed her eyes gleaming with tears.
  “What’s wrong?” I asked, turning her to face me. “Does this have to do with the rivalry?”
  “No… Something else…”
  I lifted my chin with my hand, “What happened?”
  “Before I answer, may I ask you something?”
  My jaw set, “Anything.”
  She licked her lips and swallowed, “Why are you here?”
  What? I looked at her, “To be with you. Why else?”
  “No, I mean why are with me?”
  I was confused, “Because you’re my girlfriend now and I care about you. I should be the one asking why you’re here.”
  “I’m here because I really like you,”
  I gave her a gentle kiss on the lips, “What brought this up, Love?”
  She sighed, “Just past experiences. I’m used to nobody liking me as more than a friend, if even that.”
  I felt my eyes widened in horror, “You mean to tell me that nobody else has liked you?”
  She just nodded. I couldn’t believe it. She’s all mine. I sensed she wanted to leave, so I brushed her cheek with my fingers and kissed her again.
  “That’s the best thing I’ve ever heard,” I grinned.
  She stared at me in confusion.
  I laughed, “It means something. I haven’t been with anyone either and now that I look back on it, I’m happy you’re my first.”
  She was speechless. She thought it over and her eyes lit up as it clicked.
  “And…” I continued as I held her tightly, “Even though I don’t believe you, I won’t have to worry during summer.”
  “Worry about what?”
  I looked into her sparkling eyes a bit sadly, “Have you taken from me.”
  She smiled at me, kissing my cheek, “I won’t be. I never will.”
  I gazed into my eyes and smiled cheekily. A shadow of doubt dwelled in the depths of my heart. She blinked sleepily as the common room started to fade in light. I pressed my lips to her head and wrapped her in a warm embrace. I listened her as she got settled again. Her breathing slowed as she began to drift. I pulled the blanket up to her chin to keep her warm. Traces of a contented smile curled the edges of her lips. I started humming quietly in her ear, keeping her tightly in my arms. I’m the luckiest guy in the world and I sat there with her. She sighed and I knew sleep had taken her. I never knew I would ever be this happy as I am now.
  “Love you,” I whispered to her.
  I knew she wasn’t going to answer, but emotions overflowed inside me. I do love her. She’s more than I could ever ask for and I’m so grateful. I rested my head on hers, breathing deeply. All was left was to make sure she wasn’t taken from me. I wouldn’t be able to stand it if she was. I closed my eyes, holding her to me and breathing in the gentle waft of jasmine from her perfume. I started drifting. My vision blurred and I sighed contentedly. Everything’s perfect…