Excitement and Jealousy

I searched the school and found myself heading back to the common room. I'm sure the others are there. I floated up each staircase and danced through the hallways until I reached the portrait of the Fat Lady. I gave her the password and stepped through the portrait hole into the scarlet and shimmering gold room.
   "Crystal!" Hermione shrieked.
   Before I could even respond, Hermione football tackled me at full force, nearly knocking me to the floor. She hugged me tightly as grew more and more excited. Ginny, Harry and Ron giving me smirks from a few chairs in the center of the room.
   "How was your date, Crystal?" Harry teased.
   I rolled my eyes and made sure to put emphasis on it, "They got you on the teasing too?"
   Harry and Ron shrugged and grinned. I sighed and went over to sit with them, avoiding all eye contact. I could feel their gazes burning into my skin, trying to seep through to see what was happening inside my heart. I knew I was making it way too obvious something happened.
   "What happened, Crystal?" Ginny asked.
   I tried to play dumb, "What?"
   Hermione cut off my acting, "You know what. What happened with you and Oliver?"
   The four of them watched me in dead silence, just waiting for my answer. If I said what happened at the end, I would never here the end of it from Hermione and Ginny.
   "He gave me a tour of Hogwarts. Just like he said he would," I said  nonchalantly.
   They all raised an eyebrow in suspicion and gave each other questioning glances. I gulped painfully, praying they won't realize I was leaving something out of my story.
   Harry and Ron shrugged and dropped the subject. I sighed in relief that they didn't see through what I said. I honestly thought I was in the clear and that's the most stupid mistake I've ever made. Hermione and Ginny looked at each other then back at me with suspicious eyes that seemed to see clear to my soul.
   Hermione crossed her arms, "I don't believe that's the whole story."
   "Me neither," Ginny added on.
   All four of them had their full attention on me. Hermione shoved me into the spotlight and there was no way out. I was left with no other options. My cheeks were painted pink.
   "All right, all right. We had a little detour at the end," I confessed.
   They all leaned forward in their seats and stared at me. It was nerve-wrecking.
   Ginny's smirk returned, "What kind of detour?"
   I bit my lower lip, "Afterwards, we went down to the lake and had a little stone-skipping contest."
   "Is that code for 'we made out'?"
   "No!" I protested, "It means exactly how it sounds. Just a little hangout, that's all."
   I knew they didn't believe me, even though it was a hundred percent true. Eventually the topic was dropped and was forgotten until later that night.
   We walked into the great hall for dinner and found our usual seats in the centered part of the table. I was too overwhelmed to eat. I couldn't focus on food with my brain overflowing with thoughts about Oliver and butterflies filling my stomach. I took light nibbles of some turkey with celery and had a tiny bit of cherry Jell-O when dessert came out, so the others wouldn't ask if anything was wrong. I looked up for the first time since we sat down and looked over to see Percy staring at me. He smiled when our eyes met. I could see desire and happiness reflecting in them. As I smiled back, his gaze had lifted up and the warmth transformed into cold hatred and raging jealousy.
   "Hey, Crystal."
   I almost fainted hearing his gorgeous Scottish accent saying my name and I looked up to see Oliver standing over me.
   "Good evening, Oliver."
   Oliver sat down to the empty place on my right and rested his chin on his hand. I knew he wanted to talk, but he seemed to be distracted by something. At first he seemed confused, but immediately smirked, looking back to me. I was about to ask what he was looking and smirking at, but then a slight amount of guilt poured over me. Percy was still behind me. I pictured his death glare in my head: dark and almost murderous. I shook away the disturbing image and looked back at Oliver with full attention.
   "Hey, I was wondering if you'd like to hangout again tomorrow," he asked nervously, "Perhaps another contest?"
   I could sense that the others were listening in, but that wasn't why it was so awkward. I could feel Percy's glare pressing into my back and I was terrified.
   I hid my discomfort and smiled. "Sure, Oliver. Sounds fun."
   He grinned and stood up, "Sounds good. I'll see you later."
   Just before he walked off, I saw him grin deviously, almost in a "I win" way. I knew it was meant for Percy and instead of being thrilled of having a "date," I just felt guilty. I really like Percy as a friend and not anything more, but I still felt horrible for this rivalry. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me.
   Later that night, I stayed up to think the whole thing over. Everyone else was well in bed, except for the prefects who were doing their nightly duties. I stared at the blazing fire as I curled up in a chair. I'm so confused with this.  At about one thirty, the Gryffindor prefects came in. Last to come inside was Percy. I kept curled inside the chair in front of the fire, trying to ignore him. I counted each pair of feet that ran up each staircase to make sure I was alone, except, one person didn't go up.
   "Crystal?"
   I looked up to see Percy peering over the chair. His umber eyes reflecting the golden firelight, his jaw set in concern.
   I curled into a tighter ball, "Hello, Percy."
   He came around and sat on the floor in front of the chair I was in, "You know, it's pretty late."
   "I know," I responded, hiding my face.
   "Are you all right?"
   I uncovered my face to find Percy watching me intently. I uncurled myself a little until I was in the fetal position, "Fine."
   I could tell he didn't believe me, but he didn't question it. I  felt so conflicted at the moment. I was happy I was talking to a trusted friend, but unsure at the same time because of unspoken feelings. I just prayed that they stayed unspoken.
   He sighed, "Well, I recommend going to bed as soon as you're ready."
   Tears began to sting my eyes. I was so frightened by this situation that I just nodded.
   Percy sighed again, "Well, then. Goodnight."
   "Night."
   Percy got up off the floor and looked at me one last time before heading up the boys' staircase. As I heard each of his steps grow fainter and fainter, hot tears spilled from my eyes and I began to sob. what should I do?...
*Percy's Point of View*
   "Are you all right?" I asked.
   Crystal removed her arms from her face and came out of the tight ball she put herself in, "Fine."
   She didn't seem fine to me. I watched the light of the fire dance on her. Making her golden strawberry blonde hair shine like the fire itself. Her emerald green eyes strained with the shadows of confusion and hurt. I wanted to tell her right then and there how beautiful she was. How much I cared about her and just wanted to call her mine. To claim her before that damn Oliver Wood did. I know Oliver has never had a girlfriend, but neither have I and I won't let my first love be taken before I get to her.
   Instead, I just sighed, "Well, I recommend going to bed as soon as you're ready."
   I could easily see she was about to cry. Her eyes were glossy with tears and she just nodded.
   "Well, then. Goodnight." I sighed again.
   "Night." she choked.
   I got up off the floor and watched her as she curled back into a tight ball. I licked my lips and headed upstairs to my dorm, feeling sorry for Crystal. 
   "I would never hurt you, Crystal. Please choose me," I whispered to myself.
   The sound of Crystal's sobs followed me up the stairs. It hurt me to hear her cry. As I reached the top of the stairs, I turned and looked back down.
   "This fight must end..."