September 1st

"Let's go! Let's go!" Molly ushered as we raced into King's Cross station.
  I remember Arthur telling about how we need to keep the magical world secret from the muggle world, so I was a bit confused on the particular choice of transportation. I watched the others as they ran ahead and through a wall between platforms nine and ten. I don't know what's more obvious, the owls or vanishing into thin air? Person: 'Hey look at that family of redheads!' Friend: 'Hey, where did they go?' So much for secret. The station was overflowing with people, making it difficult to keep up with the nine others ahead of me.
  "How are we NOT noticed?" I muttered to myself.
  How many normal people owned an owl? Not any that I know of. I chased after the others and watched Fred and George disappear through the wall between platforms nine and ten. I could just imagine some little kid pointing it out to his mom and then the whole station would know.
  I whisper to Harry, "How do muggles NOT notice this?"
  He just shrugged and took off after the twins. That was no help. I was last to run through, but I was a nervous wreck. What's more obvious? Running through a wall and vanishing or run at a wall and breaking my neck? Molly kept urging me to go, so I ran full force to the wall with my eyes tightly shut. I dreaded for a collision, only to not come to one. I opened my eyes and found myself on a new platform, filled with parents helping or saying farewell to the students boarding the train. It made me miss my mom. I was paralyzed in awe as I looked at the gleaming red locomotive. Large golden yellow letters screamed, "HOGWARTS EXPRESS," on the front. Smoke blew from the top as a whistle sounded.
  "Hurry, Crystal!" Hermione called to me.
  "Where do I take my belongings?"
   Harry came up next to me with his cart, Hedwig screeching in her cage, "Just follow us."
  I obeyed, not wanting to get lost. We came up to a man dressed in a suit who was packing luggage on to the train. He smiled as we handed him our trunks and other belongings. I kept close to the trio so I wouldn't be consumed by the crowd. I took in slow and deep breaths as I stumbled up the stairs. I was tense. I welled up with excitement, but with nervousness as well.
Ron led the way, "Come on. Let's see if our car booth is empty."  
Hermione doubted it, as did I. When we reached the booth, sure enough it was empty.
"Score one for the boys," Ron claimed.
  Hermione and I just exchanged looks and sat down. I sat next to the window and watched the last of the students say their goodbyes and climb aboard. I leaned against the cool glass as the train pulled from the station. A sea of parents waving from the platform until we were out of sight. . About ten minutes into the ride, Hermione pulls out a newspaper. The top story was about the horrific event at the Quidditch World Cup.
  "I can't believe something so dark would ruin what would've been a great experience. The Quidditch World Cup is as popular in the wizarding world as the Superbowl is in the muggle world," she stated bitterly.
  Harry and I nodded in agreement, since we knew about muggle life. Ron just looked lost.
  "Am I the only one who doesn't know what that is?" he said looking at the three of us.
  Harry tried to explain, "Not the only one. You just don't understand because you've never experienced muggle life."
  That seemed to be an acceptable answer for Ron. He never asked about it again. We chatted for a few hours and we took turns changing into our school robes. Ugh, school uniforms. Always hated them, always will. As dusk approached, we knew it wouldn't be too much longer until we arrived.
   "How are you feeling, Crystal?" Hermione asked.
  I shifted my head to look at her, "I'm not sure. I feel excited and happy yet I'm nervous. And seeing all those parents made me homesick."
  Harry scooted closer to me and gave me a hug. I sighed deeply, turning my focus back towards the window. The three did their best to cheer up. Hermione shared a story from when they were second years. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of missing a huge snake. 
   "I'm sure you will get the first year experience," Harry grinned.
   I look at him quizzically, "The what?"
   "You take a boat across the lake and see the castle for the first time. Then you go with the others to be sorted into your house," he explained.
    Okay, now that made sense. It seemed like a great thing to experience. I was thinking about the houses and which I wanted to be in. There was Slytherin because Ryder is in that house. Gryffindor because all of my new friends are part of that house. Hufflepuff so I could get to know Cedric Diggory... Nah, scratch that. Brother or new friends? I didn't have long to decide. After another hour, the train began to slow down as we reached Hogsmeade.As we stood up, Harry, Hermione and Ron looked at me as I stared at the compartment door.
  I took in a deep breath and squared my shoulders, "I'm ready."