Unexpected

"That's enough running for one day,” she said, opening up the door.

"Different physical things,” he said, taking his jacket off. "This your desk?"

"Isn't it obvious? The other one has that huge picture of Jenny's fiancé."

Doug looked. "That's Ramirez. He's in Engineering here, too?"

"No. He's on one of Saturn's moons. I forget which one,” she said, “I'm not so sure Jenny's quite got it figured out where they'll live when they get married."

"Well, she can probably be an engineer anywhere,” he said, kissing her cheek and placing his jacket on her desk chair.

"I, uh, can we talk just a tiny bit?" she scratched her hand, which was still covered with intricate silvery scrollwork.

"Of course."

"It's, just, I feel like we kind of skipped over some things. Things that may be more important than we realize."

"Yes." he agreed. "Seems like jumping into bed right now, this very minute might not be the best of ideas. Despite our desires."

"I, uh, I wanted to tell you. I spoke with Treve yesterday."

"Treve? And?"

"Well, I asked him if his people ever go to places and eat food that other people have prepared. He said they do it all the time, and it's a very, I guess the word is fashionable, thing to do."

"That bodes well,” he said, “Is there a location you, um, have in mind?"

"Yes. Or, rather, it was Treve's idea. Fep City. It's one of the smaller cities on the second-largest planet but it's where the artists and musicians and the tastemakers hang out. Plus there are other ships coming in all the time – Klingons, Orions, Andorians and others. He said he doesn't have much of a diplomatic career any more but might want to work with me."

"So, you don't need a business partner?" Doug asked, looking at her a little worriedly.

"Oh, I definitely do!" she touched his face. "But it pays to have someone else who knows the space and the clientele. I think it could really work."

"I'm in,” he said, “If you'll have me."

She kissed him softly. "Of course. You know I love you. I can send this now." she opened up her computer.

"What's that?"

"My resignation."

"Oh, um, Lili?"

"Yes?"

"I think we should talk a little more. You need to really know what you're getting yourself into. Not just for the place. But with, with me."

"Yes?"

"I have things I need to confess to you. And then you should decide, well, decide if it's all worth it. And I'm excited about this, about all of it, but I'll abide by whatever you want."

"What kinds of things?" she asked.

"Dark things. Things you won't like,” he said.

"Listen,” she said, cupping his face in her hands. "I know this much. I know you're a killer, multiple times over. I know that you lived under a moral code that was different – no, nonexistent – versus the one here. I know that you've got a past. But I think you – we – have got a future."

"These are what you'd think of as atrocities,” he said, swallowing hard. "I mean, fourteen is not the number. Not really. The real number is a lot higher."