I May Even Love You a Little Bit

Malcolm was all set to fly the shuttle but the moment he looked in Lili's eyes – really looked at how red they already were – that seemed impossible. "Haddon, pilot the shuttle,” he said. He went to the back and sat with Lili.

He offered her his handkerchief. "Here, keep it,” he said.

"Th-thank you."

"Come here,” he said, and put an arm around her. He leaned in and briefly touched his lips to her hair, hoping she didn't feel it and no one had seen the gesture. "Just cry." he whispered.

=/\=

"That was better than last time,” Treve said.

"Yes. A lot less fumbling,” Jennifer said, smiling. There was a small campfire burning nearby, lights flickering on their bodies.

"Did I, did I displease you last time?"

"No. But there's something to be said for experience."

"True. You know, Polloria and Baden are such hardliners. If their faction stays in control, we will probably be outlaws for the remainder of our days. However, however long yours are."

"Treve, you keep saying things like that. Just how old do you think I am?"

"I, I suspect that it would be foolish of me to, to answer that." he smiled. "But I think your signs of aging are different from ours."

"Treve, I'm only twenty-seven years old,” Jennifer said.

"Oh. Well, that explains your, um, vigor." he kissed her. "Another round?"

"We should sleep,” she said, “Despite the fun, you and I need to find some place tomorrow, where we can stay a while, and set up a temporary shelter. Sleeping under the stars is no good when it's raining out."

"I'm glad you're here,” he said, “I may even love you a little bit."

"I may even love you a little bit, too,” she said.

=/\=

Jenny was waiting at the Shuttle Bay. She looked at Lili. "Oh, Roomie. How do you feel?"

"Like a shuttle hit me."

"I'll take her back to quarters,” Jenny said.

"Very well." Malcolm replied, the shoulder of his uniform damp. "You'll let me know if, if anything,” he said to Lili. "Although I know there's nothing that, that can be done."

Lili nodded and they departed.

=/\=

The shuttle arrived in the bay. "C'mon, Old Man. Time to pay the piper,” Travis said. MacKenzie kept his rifle pointed at Doug, but lowered it once the shuttle hatch was opened.

The Empress was waiting. "Huh. I see you failed,” she said.

"She was dead when we got there,” Doug lied. "Del was, uh, killed in action. Haddon here should move up a grade."

"Yes. We'll go in tomorrow for another strike. This time it'll be with both shuttles. We still don't have transporter capabilities." Hoshi commanded. "In the meantime, get to the Mess Hall and take control of Game Night. It's getting too rowdy and Jun can't sleep with all the racket."

"Empress, we really should talk about the mission." MacKenzie protested.

"You gonna keep me longer than I want to be here? Oh, that's not a good move, MacKenzie,” she said, “Travis, you're with me. Haddon, dismissed." She left with Travis, who followed eagerly.