Halloween Nightmare

Nova stared out the window of Headquarters. It was Halloween, and there was bound to be many festivities that night, probably with some kids clad in Prodigy gear, similar to the day of the Prodigy Parade.

"Nova!" Turning around,she saw Adrian running toward her. Was he supposed to be...? She snickered as she realized that he had decided to dress up as a comic book hero with a cheesy hairdo and an emblazoned character across his chest.

"Wow, Adrian. Why aren't you in uniform," Nova asked, gesturing to her own.

"The Council allowed costumes on the premises today. Besides, we all agreed to take the day off as a patrol, remember? We need to have a little fun today. " Nova, unfortunately, did remember, now that Adrian mentioned it. Her costume was left at home, abandoned due to a lack of self-motivation. "Do you have a costume?"

Nova nodded, thinking of her abandoned fabric. Nova hated Halloween, so her agreement to wear a costume had been half hearted. It was hard to tell Adrian because of his clear excitement. His joy was contagious to everyone, except Nova. Nothing would make this better.

Halloween reminded her of her family. Even though trick or treating was not common during the Age of Anarchy, they had dressed up using whatever clothes they had and just played around the house. It was before Evie had gotten sick, and before they had been shot. All she could hear was the shots. Bang. Bang.

Nova couldn't stop herself. Collapsing to the ground, she relived it all in terror. Evie, she couldn't save her. She became a scared girl in her apartment with a man ready to kill her.

"Make it stop," she begged. It never ended, her horror. Her limbs froze in horror as she waited for the shot that would end her. She deserved it. She had been a coward who had left her baby sister in the way of an assassin. She had to take him down, for Evie, but nothing worked.

Muffled by the shots was a voice. "Nova! Nova!" It was Adrian's voice who sounded concerned.  She felt someone shaking her and she shook before reality greeted her. No longer on the floor of the lobby, Nova scrutinised her surroundings. She was in the medical wing, surrounded by four very concerned renegades.

"What was that, Nova? I thought you were fine until you collapsed and started to scream uncontrollably. Don't you dare scare me like that again!"

Nova gathered her thoughts. She hadn't a flashback like that for years, not since she had stopped having nightmares. The stares of her team mates tried to penetrate her mind, searching for answers."It's nothing," she dismissed. Adrian's scepticism showed on his face as clear as day.

Nova would never admit weakness in front of the team. Weaknesses should be dismissed and that was her flashbacks were. Nothing more than something to be overcome. Standing up, she walked towards the door. Before she made it, she felt a hard hand clamp down on her shoulder.

Adrian's face were more stern than she had ever seen it. "You don't get to tell me it's nothing when I have to carry you to the medical wing while you have a panic attack. If you don't tell me what's going on, I'm going to not let you leave."

His form became more rigid. Nova sighed, then relented. "Only if everyone else leaves first."

Adrian relaxed and nodded to the others. As soon as the door opened, Nova dashed out. She couldn't tell them. Her nightmares were private and she intended to keep them that way.

"Nova, wait up!" Ignoring Adrian's pleas, she sprinted out the door of Headquarters. She needed to breathe the crisp autumn air. Gulping in the air, she raced towards the only place she found comfort in the entire city.

It was the park she had found when exploring the city many times late at night. It was filled with greenery and exhibited a pond in the center. Nova scaled a tree and when high enough, curled up on a thick limb. No sound came from Nova as tears streamed down her face.

Her wrist vibrated with messages from her team but Nova ignored every one. The wristband was eventually tossed aside down through the greenery of the tree limbs Nova perched on.

A rustling of leaves alerted Nova to Adrian's presence but this time she made no move to escape. She listened to his climb. Adrian wasn't exactly stealthy in that regard.

When he reached the same height as her, Nova made no move to acknowledge. She was afraid what would come tumbling out her mouth. How battle worn she had become. Her battle with Ace had left her scarred. While Adrian had been understanding, she still had some things she wanted to hide. It was a habit, a hard one to break.

She wanted to open up but she had portrayed a shield of confidence and fearlessness. Very few times had she opened up, but maybe it was time. Besides, Nova didn't feel like the best girlfriend for hiding herself. If Adrian couldn't understand, then she shouldn't be with him.

Adrian whispered,"Nova? I'm sorry for doing that back there. I'm just worried for you. I know there's reasons for things you don't tell me. It's just I feel so cut off and you scared me with your episode. I thought you were dying. You scared me half to death, Nova."

Adrian's words made Nova's decision that much easier. She turned towards him and sighed heavily. Tears rolled down her cheeks. "It's not your fault, Adrian. I hide myself. It's a habit I'm trying to break with you. It's just...Halloween was the last celebration I had with my family before Evie got sick.

"I miss them so much and I can't help thinking that I could have at least saved her. She was just a baby, but I was a coward. I relived that moment, my moment where I was weakest. The assassin, my helplessness came back as I thought about her. She deserved a much braver, stronger sister than I was to her."

Adrian's next words surprised Nova. "That's not true. We can't dwell on what could be. I have fallen into that hole before. As for not being strong enough, I know that it is completely off. You are the strongest person I know. Don't ever think otherwise. A coward cannot fight the way you can. You fought everything you were taught for what is right. Pure bravery comes in spite of fear, not without it. Don't let anyone tell you different,including yourself. Promise me." Nova promised, for Adrian.

As the moment passed, it was time to leave. Nova needed a distraction, which was provided in a horror movie marathon that Nova didn't care for. Adrian didn't either, so they spent the evening on the couch of Oscar's living room eating pizza and exchanging cuddles. Kids came and went, and each one was greeted by an enthusiastic Ruby and Oscar who came in with bounds of energy.

Soon, Nova felt Adrian's steady breaths on her lap as he lay, exhausted by the day's events. It came to no surprise that the others fell asleep in various odd positions. Before leaving for her shift, Nova tucked Adrian in with a blanket, smiling as he lay there peacefully. It was a great holiday, and she had him to thank for it.