Stranded at the Beach

Marine Scott, a she-devil that was basically bi-polar, she was the other that had a shred of artistic talent? It ticked me off; I mean I could use this scholarship if I distinctly remember her family is loaded, damn trust fund baby.

“Welcome Marine and Rhia to Art 3-D the last possible art that can be taken here, but only two prodigies are picked.” Mr. Yokolov said beaming but I wasn’t sure why. 

“So this is my competition?” she questioned. UGH! Her nasally voice irked me.

“No the whole country is you competition, get that in both of your heads.” He rebuked. “Ok now let’s get to know each other because the deadline for the competition is in December. But if that first piece submitted is good enough then you’ll both or one of you will go to the National Art Summit being held in Dayton, Florida.”

“Does our first piece had to be on canvas or can it be any format of art?” I asked because knowing this chick she didn't know how to hold a paint brush.

“Good question Rhia the first one is of you’re choosing but then let’s say you do make it to the Summit you could be required to create two to three pieces of art there. Since Marine you excelled at photography most likely your first piece will be a photo but then there you’d be tested with canvas.”

Wow this was serious stuff, I failed at camera I mean I loved the random friend pictures but to take a photo and work with to produce a piece of Art wasn't in me. Maybe we’d work on it in here.

“That’s the point of this class not only to strengthen your weaknesses but to amp up your already amazing talents. So who goes first?”

He looked from her to me to me to her, since no one began it looked we’d be in until the bell rang with silence. I looked around the room, this was the first time I was ever in it I mean I’d been in the other art rooms but this looked a studio all by itself. Then when no one broke the ice he started.

“Since by the looks of it I have to start, god this feels like high school all over again.”

“It is for us.”

“None the less, my entire name is Christopher Yokolov, amongst us you guys…I mean girls can call me Chris, if my last name didn't give it away I’m Russian. I’m fluent in the language; I have two brothers and one sister. I grew up reading like a bookworm and visiting art museums. So in college I majored in

English but then I would take some art courses at the same time so this is how I ended up in a gig as an art and English teacher. If you want personal we can go there. I have Siberian Husky kinda clichéd because I’m Russian. I live alone and currently single. And that is about it.”

Whoa, he’s single and ready to mingle! He seems like the perfect guy, he must have one flaw I mean they all do. I looked to the clock and we were running out of time so I guess I would go next.

“My name is Rhiannon Hawthorne and a senior obviously. I go by Rhia, I have German roots but never been to Germany which would be wicked. I love Art short, sweet, and to the point. To not come off as a bitch maybe but I could really use the prize money saying that I won. Marine and I at one time were friends but I know that she has no need for the scholarship money.” That was a total out nowhere statement but we needed to get to know each other. So there was my honesty when it comes to this class. “I love drama too and psychology, my back-ups are FBI profiler or acting. So the acting sounds like a long shot but it’s my number 2 after Art. I have ferret which is different but I love him. I still live with my parents and I want to go to Julliard after high school.” That was about me; finally I got that over with. Then Marine said barely anything.

“Marine Scott, the name is short for Aquamarine. I find photography soothing when I snap a photo I know I have it with me and it’s forever embedded in my memories and film. Rhiannon the money is little to me but I want this recognition of my work so like the title of the millions of movies that have been make, bring it on. I have Irish in my family and I’ve visited Ireland, that's where I’ve taken the most photos on landscape. To me the land was beautiful, it was natural and unpolluted it nearly make me sick but compared to the trash we have I would rather stare at green.”

Right when she finished the bell rang and I was headed to history class, I really didn't want to call it Economics then Gov’t. At least I would have Kai and Alexis there; I knew I had time so I talked real quick with Chris.

“So what song were you listening to?”

“Joan Jett-Bad Reputation I’m glad that you didn't see me making a fool of myself head bobbing.”

I laughed at that, “It’s all good I wouldn’t have told anyone. Your secret is safe with me. So I’ll be seeing you Chris.”

I made it to the class on the last bell but at least I wasn't the last one in there. I took my seat in front of Kai but behind Alexis; I don't think I’d ever understand why we come to school and we waste the first day. Well last class wasn't a total waste; I need to be acquainted with my teacher and classmates. But this class just was boring because I had one of those monotone teachers; even if the subject was seemly interesting their voice could damper it. Finally the clock struck 3:30pm and we were released from the metaphorical shackles.

This year gave so many privileges and not only from the school but from my parents. They finally got me a used car but I kept it like a 2010 car, I offered my friends a ride home and they were like; how about we take a walk on the beach. We lived in Charleston, South Carolina and the closet beach was about 15 minutes, I was one to never reject beach time! We got there and it was nearly empty but that was ok with us, we ran to the shore to the test the water and it was cold but we rushed in and it was ok. Next thing I knew I was grabbed by the waist and then dropped in the cold Atlantic Ocean.

“Kai I’m going to murder you and dance on your grave to the one song you hate, Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood.” I loved that song I don't know what’s wrong with him, maybe it’s because he’s a guy and would be devastated should that happen to car of his. None the less we spent a good two hours when we decided get out and dry before we got back into my car. I felt a familiar presence at the beach and got to walking around then I looked and found myself in front of what looked like a beach bungalow. That’d be awesome, I think I’ll get a home in front of the ocean to wake up and sleep to the sounds of crashing waves.

Then I saw the owner just getting home, it looked like a guy. When I looked closely it was none other than my Art and English teacher, it was Mr. Yokolov.