Chapter Four

So...this is only a little overdue.

Enjoy! (:

-Levi (: xx

Chapter Four

“Well, come on in, Elaine! I already have the table set and you can come and take a seat. Do I need to add any spaces…?” June faltered, looking over Elaine’s shoulders.

            “Oh, no, ah, Gracie’s in England still for work and Henry and his new girlfriend weren’t able to head back here yet because of some work stuff, sorry,” Elaine replied, her high-pitched voice caroling sweetly.

            “Hold up a second, Gracie’s in England? You and I have a lot to discuss, madam!” June exclaimed.

            “Well, let us do so over some grub then, I am famished!” The women chuckled as June led Elaine into the dining room, Iridesca following silently.

            “You go on and take a seat, I’ll make the plates. Iridesca, honey, why don’t you speak with Mrs. Parker for a bit while I set all the food out for self-serve, alright?” June gave her daughter a small smile, and obediently, Iridesca sat down next to her mother’s friend.

            “Hi, Desci,” Elaine managed as she poured herself a glass of water from the crystal pitcher placed elegantly in the middle of the table.

            “Hello, Mrs. Parker,” the girl replied quietly.

            “It’s been some time, huh?”

            “Yes ma’am, it has.”

            “So you’ve graduated by now, right?”

            “I’ve been taking online classes for the past few years, I graduated early.”

            “Oh, that’s nice, hun.” The conversation between the two came to a pause until Elaine spoke again. “So, are you planning to go to college?”

            “Going to South Georgia in the fall,” Iridesca replied with a smile. “I plan to study nursing; I want to be a caretaker for the elderly.”

            “That’s wonderful, Iridesca! Shoot, you might have to be my caretaker by the time you graduate,” Elaine laughed.

            “Oh no, I already have my dibs on her! She’s momma’s caretaker, and she will be until there isn’t anything left to care for!” June called as she entered the dining room. She sighed in success and unlaced her apron. “Dinner is ready! Just feel free to come serve yourselves.”

            The ladies served themselves respectively, leaving little leftovers. Over dinner, it was mostly June and Elaine conversing and catching up while Iridesca sat politely and ate quietly. Elaine told June about her daughter’s hair styling career and how she had successfully caught a job with a European boy band.

            “They go by the name ‘One Direction.’ She said they got together due to some talent show over in the UK, and basically they’ve just exploded with the press! American teenage girls like ‘em even more because of the accents—” she snorted, “—I don’t know what you think, but I would like to believe that country or Spanish accents are way sexier.” [A/N: mi acento es muy sexy, aye] Elaine explained.

            “Apparently teenage girls think otherwise. Well, most of them at least. Desci hasn’t told me about them; Iridesca, did you know about this ‘One Direction’?” June inquired.