Epilogue

Jason and I spent our summer together. And he slowly started adjusting to civilian life again. While he learned how to live a normal life again, I learned how to live in the moment. I no longer worried about what my next move would be and I stopped anticipating everything.

            “So summer’s really over.” Jason whispered as I sat between his legs. At the moment, we were watching the sunset in the field near my house. Miraculously enough, the longest war in United States history ended and so did the drought in Radcliff.

            “Hm,” I sighed, content at just being held in his arms.

            “And then college starts in a few weeks.”

            “You make it sound like a bad thing.” I joked, turning my head to look at him.

            He shook his head. “No, I’m excited to go back. I just don’t want to lose you.”

            I gave him a confused look. “What do you mean? We’re going to the same college.” My hand reached up to cup his cheek. “Are you okay?”

            “No, but I will be after I do this.”

            I gave him a curious and confused look as he got up. I mimicked his action and stood in front of him. Jason grabbed my hand and reached into his pocket. “Jason, - “ I stopped when I saw him get down on one knee.

            “Angela,” he started. “I know we’re too young to get married, but I know right now that I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” He opened the small box revealing a small ring. “Will you marry me, Angela?”

            I smiled as tears streaked down my cheeks. “I’d want nothing more than to marry you.” I said seeing him smile. “Yes!” I yelled as he slid the ring around my finger.

            “She said ‘yes!’” He screamed so loud it echoed for miles. I laughedand wrapped my arms around his neck.

            “I love you.”

            He leaned his forehead against mine. “Forever?” He asked.

            “For eternity.” I said confidently before capturing his lips in a long, passionate kiss.