Chapter 10

Tuesday, April 8, 1975

            Angela sat at her lunch table looking around the cafeteria. “Is it just me, or is our school boring?”

            “Our school’s boring.” Carly agreed. “I guess that happens when you’ve gone here for four years.”

            Angela sighed and popped a grape into her mouth. “Do you guys know when our prom is?” She asked.

            “What is with all the questions?” Holly laughed, putting her book down to look at her friend. “All the statements that have left your mouth have been a question.”

            She shrugged her shoulders. “I just forgot when our prom was. That’s all.”

            “April 18,” Carly said, stealing one of Angela’s grapes. “I bet you’re excited to be going with Brian.”

            Angela laughed. “Eh, I don’t really care who I go with.”

            “So you don’t care that you’re going with Brian?” Carly gave her friend a look. “Don’t tell that to his crazy ex-girlfriend.”

            She cringed, forgetting that Brian broke up with his girlfriend of a year. Stacy Parker was the perkiest, most annoying girl to ever walk the halls.

            Angela looked at the table of cheerleaders who looked like they were sharing one bowl of grapes and one diet soda. “Poor guy,” she concluded. Finishing off the last of her grapes, Angela got up and tossed out her trash, just in time for the bell to ring.

            Angela went through her whole Monday in a whole other world. She walked the halls alone after her last period class. She didn’t know why, but something seemed off. “Ang, are you going to the bonfire tonight?”

            She mentally shook herself to pay attention to the real world. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”       

            “The bonfire. Are you going?” Carly repeated.

            She shook her head. “No, I don’t know why, but I just haven’t been feeling well since lunch.”

            “That’s weird. You hardly ate anything at lunch.” Holly recalled. “Well anyway, I hope you feel better. Call me tomorrow. We have to get our dresses fitted.”

            Angela nodded. “I’ll call you before noon. If you’re not up I’m leaving without you.” She called after her friend as she left with Carly.

            “Yeah whatever, mom!”

            She shook her head and laughed a little. Putting all her books into her locker, she adjusted her bag on her shoulder before starting the walk back to her house.

            It was a nice day for a walk. The weather was perfect and there was a slight breeze, giving Angela the fresh air she clearly needed. She tilted her head back to face the sun and the bright blue sky. It was indeed the perfect day. Angela took in her surroundings. She took the time to admire the newly blossomed flowers and the birds chirping high in the trees. That was something she never did. She never stopped to live in the moment. She was always too caught up in looking ahead to her future than living in the present.

            “Angela dear, how are you?”

            Angela smiled and waved to her neighbor across the street. “Hi Mrs. Brooks, how are you?”

            “I’m doing fine! Thank you for asking.”

            Mrs. Brooks was not elderly but she was up there in age. She was in her mid-sixties. Angela usually went over every few days to keep her company since she was a widow. With another wave, Angela retrieved the mail before walking into the house.

            Both her parents were gone and the house was eerily quiet – as usual. “What to do? What to do?” She asked herself as she poured herself a tall glass of milk. Bringing the cup to her lip, she didn’t bother checking the mail. Instead, Angela ascended the stairs and went to her room. School took its toll on her and she was exhausted. Downing the rest of her milk, she laid down on her bed, her limbs sprawled out across its cool surface. Breathing a sigh of relief and relaxing, her eyelids grew heavy before sleep over came her.

            “Jason?” Her arms flailed against the mattress. “Jason, look out!” Sweat stuck to her forehead as she tossed and turned in her sleep. “No!” She screamed, waking up in a cold sweat. Hair stuck to her face and her clothes stuck to her body.

            Amy ran into Angela’s room looking frightened. “Angela, honey, what’s wrong?” She asked, pulling her crying daughter into her arms.

            “It was so real!” Angela blubbered. She could hardly breathe as she recalled the vivid nightmare.

            Amy stroked her daughter’s hair and sighed. “I’ll make you tea. Would you like that?”

            Angela nodded her head slowly, trying to take deep breaths. “Thank you.”

            She kissed her daughter’s forehead. “Anything for you, honey.”

            Amy left to put a kettle on for tea, leaving Angela up in her room. “It was just a dream.” She told herself as she stared up at the ceiling. “It was just a dream.” She silently mumbled those five little words to herself before her mom walked back into her room with a cup of tea in her hands. “This came in the mail for you.” Her mom smiled, handing her a small envelope.

            Angela took it and placed it on her nightstand. “Thank you,” she took the hot cup of tea from her mom and took a small sip since it just came off the stove.

            “You’re very welcome.” Amy patted her daughter’s knee that was under the comforter before standing up. “Are you going to be okay home alone tonight? Your father and I are going to a barbeque down at the country club.”

            “I’ll be fine.” She assured her mom. “You two have fun.”

            Amy walked over and placed a kiss on her daughter’s forehead before making her exit. Angela held the mug in her hands as it warmed her palms. She looked at the envelope and felt compelled to open it. After her little nightmare episode, she could use a little escape from her problems.

            She took the envelope in her hands and gently ripped it open. She unfolded the piece of paper and smiled at the familiar handwriting.

            Dear Angela,

            I’m happy to be writing you right now. I have some good news to tell you. Well, it’s good news that came from a bad event I guess you could say. I’ll be coming home on the first plane that comes over here to take me and some other wounded soldiers home.

            I think your prayers are working. In a couple weeks, I’ll be home. I can’t wait to meet you. I need to meet you. I wish I knew what to say. All I know for sure is that I’m determined to make it home.

            Love,

            Jason

            P.S. You are absolutely beautiful.

            After reading the letter, she felt the need to smile, cry, and scream at the top of her lungs. The only thing that mattered at that moment was that he was coming home. Lying back on her mattress, she reread the letter over again and saw the post script. She laughed covering her face with her hands. She was blushing like a mad person. “Oh God I’m a mess.” She laughed at herself a little. “Oh God,” she breathed, recovering from her giggle fit. “Thank you.” She shut her eyes, still holding the letter in her hand.