Chapter 27 | X

Chapter 27

"Y⃟our books?" Becca chokes.

Banshee nods and stares at Becca, making her feel both terrified and uncomfortable. "The Leaders aren't the only ones that hide behind a mask. Or a name."

"What do you mean?" Becca asks quietly, her head spinning.

"Eleven years ago, I was one of Quill's little band of brainwashed followers, willing to give up whatever is asked for no matter the price to keep the society running how it is. Quill kicked me out after... an incident with one of the other people in the posse... But I don't need to get into that yet," he chuckles creepily. "Let's just say I had a gun, and using that gun brought comfort to me."

He takes off the mask and Becca feels her chest tighten.

"So," she says, her voice shaking like a leaf in the cold wind of November. "It was you who gave me those boxes and the notes."

And not Eduard, She thinks to herself.

"No," Banshee smiles, the tear in his flesh moving slightly as he talks. "But the intention was there."

"What do you mean?" Becca swallows her fear and plants her feet on the hard floor. She's not running away, not this time, no matter what it is he's about to tell her. "What do you mean, Banshee?"

It can't be Eduard.

"It's a strange thing to hear you call me that. To hear anyone call me that, really. Let me officially introduce myself, since I never did. Well, I did. Once. But you were too little to remember me."

Another smile large enough to contort his face in the dimness of the rooms lighting spreads across his face as Becca becomes more and more confused. She knows him?

"I'm sure you have so many questions, Becca Reed."

"And if I didn't think you knew the answers, I wouldn't be standing here right now."

"I'm flattered," he chuckles, and in his eyes flash something-excitement maybe? "Do you want to sit down?"

Banshee sidesteps to reveal a black metal chair. He pats the seat and nods, the smile still glued on his face. Becca shakes her head and Banshee's face twists into something that looks like hurt.

"You won't sit?" He asks, his voice fragile and soft.

Becca takes a step closer to him, her arms stiff and her hands clenched into fists.

Then she stops, changing her mind, and his face switches to anger.

"You will sit. You will sit, Becca Reed!"

Banshee leaps forward and grabs Becca roughly by the arm.

"You will sit!"

"No!" Becca cries out, struggling against him. He pulls her to the chair as she tugs and thrashes to break free. He throws her onto the seat, the front legs lifting up from the ground and smashing back down onto the wooden ground. Becca sits in the cold metal chair, trembling and feeling the fire grow inside of her as Banshee wipes a bead of sweat away from above his eyebrow.

"That's better," Banshee sighs, almost sweetly, but his eyes tell a different story. He leans forward and places his black-gloved hands on the black metal armrests attached to the chair. His face is inches away from Becca's, and she can't help but recoil at the distance.

"Now," he says. "Obviously my books didn't give you enough information, and that's why you came looking for me. What do you want to know, Becca Reed?"