Chapter 16 | X

B⃟ecca stares at Banshee incredulously

She had been right about someone framing her, but Victoria... He killed Victoria... It's been him the whole time.

She feels a wave of stupidity wash over her. Why didn't she realize this sooner? How long...?

She looks at the mask in her hand for a moment, then drops it in realization of what she holds. It's the face, the mask of the man who has haunted her and followed her around her entire life.

"You," she says in an angry, trembling voice. "It's been you all along... You're the one that got me banished, you're the one that killed that man, that killed Victoria..." She looks at her hands, the image of them covered in blood flashing before her eyes. "You're a murderer."

Banshee stands up and smiles. Becca can see where the knife she had thrown at him that day had cut through his shirt and into his shoulder, and where it's starting to scab over.

"Becca, Becca, Becca," Banshee says quietly.

"You're insane," she whispers as she backs up, feeling Eduard behind her. "You're insane."

"And you're not far off."

"What?" Becca asks as Banshee takes a step towards her.

"We're all just a little bit of crazy, Becca Reed," Banshee says in a low tone, eeriness dripping from each syllable.

"I'd say you're more than just a little-"

"DO NOT INTERRUPT ME, BECCA REED!" He screams, and Becca trips, sending her body into Eduard, who catches her. He says nothing, doesn't even look down at her as he holds on to her, but he keeps his eyes trained on Banshee, watching his every move.

Banshee smiles, the cut side of his face stitched up. It reminds Becca of a skeleton. He's just a skeleton of a man with no sympathy-or maybe too much sympathy...

"If you think anyone is sane, you don't know them well enough."

"I know you well enough to know that you're the epitome of insanity," Becca hisses, not knowing what else to say to the man.

He laughs. "Thank you."

Becca glares at him.

"Oh, Becca Reed," Banshee says as he walks forward, his eyes sparkling with excitement. "We live in a mad world. An insane world. In this mad world, only the mad are the sane."

"You killed people, Banshee," Becca spits as she stands up completely. "That's not something a sane person would do!"

"Or would they?" Banshee smiles. "Obviously, you haven't looked around you. Obviously, you haven't asked enough questions. Why don't you ask questions, Becca? Why don't you see what's going on around you? Why do you agree with it? Why do you fall into slavery?"