Chapter 22 | X

B⃟ecca steps back out into the middle of the city, the crowd applauding as the meeting ends

B⃟ecca steps back out into the middle of the city, the crowd applauding as the meeting ends. Her nose is so far into the book and her brain is so focused on figuring out what's going on mixed with how to bring down Quill that she can't see where she's going and she runs into two men blocking her path.

"Excuse me," she says, hardly glancing up as she tries to walk around.

The men move in her way again and she looks up once more.

"Go get in line," the man on the left barks, pointing to the stage. "We need a picture of you and your mask."

"What?" Becca asks. "Why?"

"So we can be sure that everyone is who they say they are. Go. Now."

Becca jumps and starts to walk towards the three long lines trailing from the stage.

"Eduard," she says quietly as she presses the button on her earpiece. "Eduard, we have a problem."

"I know." Becca hears his voice as he almost whispers the words. "I'll meet you in the back of the middle line."

Becca nods and heads to the back of the center line. She sees Eduard in his stolen mask as he strides up to her and stands facing her back stiffly.

"They're taking pictures of our faces next to our masks," Eduard says to Becca, trying to look like he's entering into a casual conversation.

"The-we were talking about it in our meeting earlier. I was against it, but the rest ruled for it, I'm guessing, considering it's happening."

Becca feels herself start to panic. What if they know her face? What if they know Belle's face? And Becca doesn't even know Belle's last name if they should ask for it.

"A distraction," Becca says quietly over the talking of the crowds. "We need a distraction, Eduard. Quick. These lines are moving really, really fast."

He nods in agreement and looks around. Eduard takes one last glance at her and sighs behind his mask. "Follow my lead."

"Wha-"

"No, ma'am, that is my spot!" Eduard shouts angrily at her. "I was here first!"

Becca catches on to what he's trying to do, and she smiles beneath the mask she wears.

"You don't know what you're talking about sir!" Becca shouts, trying her best to sound like she's really upset.

"Oh, I don't know what I'm talking about? You took my spot! How could someone be so rude?"

"Rude? You're calling me rude? Learn some courtesy and humility and look in the mirror at yourself!"

"We aren't allowed to-"

"Excuse me, is there a problem?" One of the men that had forced Becca to walk into a line says, folding his arms over his chest.

"Yes sir," Eduard huffs. "This woman took my spot in line."

"What are you, children?" The second bouncer says.

"Now look who's being rude," Becca sneers.

The man looks at Becca. "Excuse me, miss?"

"You heard me, Jerkface."

The man takes Becca roughly by the arm and drags her away from the crowd, while the other one takes Eduard. "Come back when you're ready to be respectful."

He shoves Becca forward and she stumbles over her feet. The other does the same with Eduard, and she laughs cruelly. The two men walk away and Eduard and Becca start walking toward the woods.

Becca looks back once before turning a corner, and sees Quill pulling out a small piece of paper from his breast pocket.

A paper about the size of the ones Becca has found in the box and beneath Twitch's collar.

Thanks for reading! Please vote and comment!