Chapter 27

“Second Chance Romance”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 27

“Don’t,” Austin warned, holding his hands up high in front of him. “Don’t you dare take another step, Tina. We’re not doing this again.”

“But Austin, it was so good last time.” She appealed. “You remember, don’t you? How good it was, I mean…”

“All I remember is how you ruined my life.” He pointed his finger firmly at her chest. “Yeah, I know and I accept the fact that when you showed up on my doorstep, it was my decision to let you in my room. I take full responsibility for my actions that night. I also knew then that when I watched Jade walk out the door that last time, what those ten minutes with you had cost me. Everything! Everything that I cherished was gone because of teenage hormones and a momentary lapse in judgment. And I’ll be damned it I will lose it again. My suggestion for you is to turn around Ms. Mells and start walking. You were nothing more than a body that I used to sate my lust with. As much as I hate to admit it, that’s the Gods to honest truth. I sure as hell didn’t want you back then and I most certainly don’t want you now.”

Tina started to shake her head back and forth and in a last ditch effort she held out her arms to him. “But Austin…”

“No! Leave, Tina,” he stepped back and growled again. “I don’t want you near me. Leave me alone!”

Tina dropped her hands to her sides. She schooled her expression into an ugly scowl. “You’re making a big mistake,” she told him. “A big mistake Austin. I’m the best you’ll ever get. Five years down the road when your precious Jade is fat and ugly you’re going to be wishing that you chose me.”

“Go!” he yelled again, wishing like hell that she would just leave him alone.

“Hey! Hey there! Hold up a minute! Help… someone please get some help!”

Austin snapped his head around to the sound of the manic shouts and felt his heart stop mid-beat. He couldn’t believe his eyes, didn’t want to believe what he was seeing. The pony that Libby had been riding was prancing around and the young man that led her was struggling to gain control over him. By the time Austin’s mind fully comprehended what he was seeing, the pony reared up on its legs and Libby was being tossed around like a rag doll.

In a blinding sequence of events, he saw her body get thrown up into the air and then she was rolling backwards, falling to the ground. “Libby!” he screamed and made a move to jump the fence but was hampered with his broken leg. He cursed himself, unable to get over the fence fast enough.

With one foot on the bottom rail and feeling as helpless as helpless could be, he held out his arms to her and screamed again, “Libby! No!”

From his peripheral vision, he caught sight of someone jumping the fence beside him. He was too horrified about what was happening in front of him to pay attention to what was happening at his side. One minute Libby was falling and all he could imagine was his little girl hitting the hard ground and the pony stepping on her tiny body. The next, he saw a man jump into action, grabbing Libby by the waist in mid-air and hefting her to the side of the arena out of dangers path.

It all happened so fast that he could hardly believe what he was seeing. His eyes followed Libby who was now lying on the ground, bawling her little eyes out.

Austin pushed his way through the gathering crowd with only one thought in mind- he had to get to her. He had to get to his baby. No one stood in his way. He maneuvered himself around to the inside of the arena and hobbled as fast as he could to Libby’s side. He quickly checked her over for any obvious injury and after assessing that she was physically okay, he gathered her into his arms and held on to her for dear life. “It’s okay, sweetheart. I’m here now. I’m not going to let anything happen to you. Ssh, it’s okay,” he said over and over at her ear, silently thanking God and whatever other greater power was listening for keeping his little girl safe.