Chapter 21-- Part 1

A/N  This is unedited so if you see any mistakes, feel free to point them out.

As always... Thank you so much for your continued support.

“Second Chance Romance”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 21-- Part 1

Exhausted, Oliver let himself collapse on the old wooden bench.  Bending over, he rested his elbows on his knees and let his gaze touch the old elementary school play ground.  Nothing out here had changed since he was a kid and went to the same school.  Sort of like the story of his own life.  Nothing ever changes.  The popular, jock wins the girl again and he is stuck on the outside, looking in.

Oliver snarled at that thought.  He had a monster of a headache that refused to go away, he hadn’t had a descent’s night sleep since the twister hit and he had no desire at all to eat.  He felt like shit.  There wasn’t any other way to put it. He wallowed in his own misery and when he wasn’t too busy feeling sorry for himself, he worked himself to exhaustion with the town clean up.  It was the only way he knew how to deal with everything that was happening, again.

It had been a week since he last seen Jade. After finding out the truth about Austin and Libby, he just couldn’t bring himself to go back and see her again. He knew it would be a futile fight.  Even if she remembered what Austin had done to her, Austin still now knew the truth and he would want that bond with his daughter.  He would always be there and even he couldn’t deny the chemistry that simmered between Austin and Jade when they were together.  Jade may not openly admit it but Oliver had seen it in some of the looks that she gave him.  That was why he jumped the gun and bought the engagement ring.  He thought if she had his ring on her finger, Austin would finally back out of the picture.

Now, he didn’t have a prayer in hell.

“You look like shit.”

Oliver didn’t bother to turn around and look at the woman that approached him.  It had a long time since he finally gotten over his high school crush with Tina.  He hadn’t even spoken with Tina Mells since their last disastrous meeting only minutes before his high school prom.  The whole episode had  been embarrassing enough and a memory that he was better off not remembering. 

He didn’t know why she was here with him now and quite frankly, he really didn’t care.  Letting out a tired sigh, Oliver lifted his shoulders in an easy shrug and kept his gaze locked on the playground in front of him.  As far as he was concerned, he didn’t have anything to say to the woman.

Tina didn’t like being ignored.  She came here on a mission and what Tina wanted, Tina usually got.  She didn’t care about the stupid woman that just showed back up in town and was now trying to steal her future husband. All she cared about was coming up with a way to get rid of her again so she could get finally get Austin Giles back in her bed.

Tina had always hated Jade Sampson, even as far back as elementary school she remembered hating her.  And when she left town all those years ago, she had said good riddance.  With Jade out of the way, she had the perfect opportunity to make her move on Austin.  Unfortunately, at the time Austin wasn’t ready for a new relationship.  Tina bided her time though, waited for him while he went off to college.  When he came home after his injury, she tried to move in on him again but he still wasn’t ready for a serious relationship.  When he started coaching at the high school, she secured herself a job as well hoping that with them being around each other so much that he would have no choice but to notice her for the woman that she had become.  There was no way that he wouldn’t be able to resist her much longer.

After two years, she felt like she was starting to wear him down and knew that he was close to asking her out when wouldn’t you know, the great bane of her existence waltzed her uppity butt back into town.  The first time that she seen her, she wanted to pull out every strand of hair on Jade Sampson’s head.  But she held back because she knew if she acted on her impulses, Austin wouldn’t give her a second look.  He would pine over Jade just as he had always done.  That wasn’t an option.

Tina walked around the side of the bench and sat down.  She looked long and hard at Oliver.  Back in high school he had been so enamored with her it was pathetic really.  The geek had actually thought that she would go to prom with him- as if…

But now, as much as she hated to admit it- she needed him.  Oliver had managed to connect with Jade and the side effect was that it caused a distraction with her and Austin.  That worked in her favor.

Tina had also heard the rumors about Jade’s accident during the twister and she heard that Jade had a nasty case of amnesia.  Normally Tina wouldn’t care but since she was admitted to the hospital in Chapel Hill, she hadn’t seen Austin in town.  And from what she could tell, Oliver hadn’t been to see Jade either since the night she was admitted. 

That didn’t make any sense to her.  From what Tina had noticed, Jade and Oliver were getting pretty cozy before the accident.  Their little fling was all well and good because it worked in her favor.  When Oliver was with Jade, Austin wasn’t.  It didn’t take a genius to figure out where Austin had spent his week.  She needed Oliver and Jade to get cozy again.

Tine clucked her tongue and tsked him.  “Oliver, what are you doing?  Look at yourself.  You haven’t  even shaved.  Hell, you don’t even look like you’ve changed clothes in over a week.”  She wrinkled her nose.  “Have you even taken a bath?”

Oliver let out a sound of disgruntlement.  “Why are you here, Tina?”

“Why not?”

He turned his head and narrowed his eyes on her.  “Why not?  Really?  You are sitting here talking to me, Tina.”  He turned away from her.  “You don’t talk to people like me.”

She almost smiled.  This wasn‘t the same Oliver from high school.  He had changed.  She gave him a good, appreciative once over.  Despite his ruggedness and if she wasn‘t already set on marrying Austin, she could almost see herself with him.  “It’s not like there is much else to do in this broken down town. The schools are closed.  Businesses are closed.  For all intents and purposes, this town is on hold.  Most people are working to rebuild the worst hit areas.  There isn’t a whole lot else to do except walk around.  I was walking and I saw you sitting here so I decided that I would stop by and see an old friend.  It’s a good thing I did because you look like hell Oliver.”

“Old friend my ass,” Oliver grumbled.  He stood up, determined to walk away from her.  His life was bad enough as it was.  He didn’t need to subject himself to sitting here, listening to Tina run off at the mouth.  “Go find someone else to talk to.  I’m outta here.”

At first Tina had been shocked.  How dare he walk away from her like that.  No one walked away from her, least of all a nobody like Oliver.  After the initial shock, she jumped up and rounded on him.  “Hey, I’m not done talking with you!” she yelled at his retreating back.  “You can’t walk away from me like that.  Come back here!”

Oliver stopped and snorted, but didn’t turn around.  “You’re a piece of work Tina.  A real, fine, piece of work,” he drawled sarcastically and then shook his head.  He was done with this conversation.  It was past time for him to go and do something else to work off what little energy he had left.  Maybe if he worked himself enough, he might actually be able to get a few hours of sleep tonight.  He started to walk again.

“You love her, don’t you Oliver.”

Tina’s statement had him stopping in his tracks again.  He didn’t want her words to get to him but they did.  They wrapped around him and cut him deep.  “You love Jade but yet you're hanging around here, feeling sorry for yourself while Austin moves in on what should have been yours- just like he always did.”

“You don’t know what your talking about,” he growled.

“Yes, I do.  I know exactly what I’m talking about.  Austin had his chance five years ago and he blew it.  She walked out on him.  When she came back a few week ago, you had her Oliver.  Everyone was talking about it.  You can get Jade again.  All you have to do is help her remember what he did to her to make her leave in the first place.  Make her see Austin Giles for the man he really is.  Don’t be weak and sit by why he steals her out from under your nose again.  Grow some balls Oliver.  Go and get your woman back.”

Oliver closed his eyes.  Damn!  What was he doing?  How many times has he laid in his bed late at night this past week and wondered if he should do exactly what Tina was suggesting.  It would take but one conversation.  But every time he thought about going to the hospital and saying something to Jade, he thought about Libby.  He didn’t want to hurt the little girl because damn it all to hell, he’d fallen in love with her too.

Oliver turned around and angrily faced Tina.  “Back off!  As I said before, you don’t have a clue as to what your talking about.”

She laughed at him.  “Oh I got a clue big boy.  I got the clue a long time ago.  It’s you that needs to get with the program.  You could have it all and you know it.  A wife, a kid, even the white picket fence.  All you have to do is get off your ass and take it Oliver.”

“She doesn’t remember me.  She doesn’t remember him.  She doesn’t remember anything!  How can I take something that she doesn’t even remember existed.”

“That’s easy,” Tina smirked.  “You make her remember.  You tell her about the past, you show her what it was like.”

For a long minute, Oliver just stood there, not knowing what to say.  He was sorely tempted to do just what Tina was saying.  So what if Austin was Libby’s father?  If Jade remember how he broke her heart and sent her off in the first place, would it really matter?  Could he possibly still have a chance at making a family with her and Libby?

“Just think about it Oliver.  I never liked the girl myself, but she did just have a traumatic accident.  She has a kid to take care of.  Don’t you think she at least deserves to know the truth about the past?”

Oliver visibly shuddered.  His mind was racing in twenty different directions.  He was so confused.  “I don’t know.  I need to think about it first.”    He turned again and started back towards the Sheriff car.

“You do that Oliver.  You think long and hard because whatever you decide, could end up being the biggest decision of your life.”  And mine.

Oliver didn’t respond.  He headed for his car and didn’t stop until he reached the door, jerking it open and silently sliding into the driver seat.  What should he do?  Should he tell Jade the truth about Austin?  Or should he keep his mouth shut and  see if she remembers his traitorous past on her own?  If he decides to let nature takes it’s natural course and waits for her to get her own memory back, would it be too late? 

He raked his hand through his hair let out a frustrating groan.  Decisions, decisions. There was no way in hell he would be getting any sleep tonight.