Chapter 10

“Second Chance Romance”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 10

    “License and Registration please.”  Oliver rested his hand on the roof of the car and gave Austin a blank stare.  He pulled him over after he caught him flying down the road like a bat out of hell, even though he was off duty.  He was going entirely to fast to not stop him.

    “Aw, come on Oliver,” he grumbled, pulling his wallet out of his back pocket.  “Can’t you just write me the ticket.  I have to get back to the school for the game.”  Not bothering to hide his irritation, he thumbed through his wallet and finally found his license.  He then opened his console to retrieve his registration. Having both in hand, he turned back towards Oliver and passed them to him through the open window.  “Just hurry the hell up!”

    Oliver arched a brow. “Excuse me, do you want to repeat that buddy?”

    Austin let out a loud sigh. “Oliver,” he started and turned so that he was staring out the front windshield, “I know that I was speeding so just hurry up and write me the damn ticket so I can get back on the road.  I’m already late and having you all on my back, acting like the FBI isn’t helping me any!”

    Oliver stood there for a long moment and studied him.  This was the one guy that Jade had truly fallen head over heels with once upon a time; at least until he so ruthlessly broke her heart.  What was it about him that she was so drawn to?  Was it his looks or his bad boy persona?  Was it because he was the football star? 

    Back in high school she wouldn’t have given Oliver a second look because she was so enthralled with the towns local celebrity but now… well it seemed as if the tables had turned.  Sometimes the nice guy does get the girl.

    “Do you mind, Oliver” Austin gritted out when he received no response.  “The game of the year is about to start, I have a team of football players waiting on their coach and you are beginning to get on my last nerve.”

    Oliver stared back at him, giving him the one look that he reserved for official business and then inclined his head.  “I’ll be back in a minute,” he supplied and then turned around, heading back to his patrol car.

    “Son of a bitch!” Austin slammed his fist against the steering wheel.  Not only did he have to deal with watching this guy court the only girl that he ever really cared about; now he has to deal with him giving him a ticket.  It was nobodies fault but his own, he knew that but the game was scheduled to start in less than an hour.  How hard could it be to just write the damn ticket so he could be on his way?

    Seething, he looked up in the rear view mirror and curled his lip up at Oliver.  Ever since he became Sheriff he walked around this town like he owned it.  Before, he never really had anything against the man but these last few days he was really starting to become a major thorn in his ass.

    Oliver decided to take his own time while running all of Austin‘s information.  Yeah, he was well aware that he was needed at the game but by making him sweat it out some, maybe he would learn to respect the traffic laws of Hillsborough and maybe …. just maybe a little respect for him too.

    Through his aviator glasses he could see Austin staring back at him via the rear view mirror.  He couldn’t help but to smile at that.  Years ago, Austin was the one that made all the peers in school nervous, girls and guys alike.  All the girls wanted to get with him; all the guys wanted to be just like him.  But those years are long passed.  Now he is the one that gets to sit back and enjoy making guys like him nervous.