II

Charlie shifted uncomfortably in the unfamiliar bed as she adjusted to the bright lights in the room

Charlie shifted uncomfortably in the unfamiliar bed as she adjusted to the bright lights in the room. She jumped up realising that she wasn't at home, in her bed, but infirmary of some kind. She looked around the room noticing no one was around.

She quietly got up, noticing that she wasn't wearing her clothes from before, but a hospital gown and some shorts. and that her angelic and calm-anger rune was now visible. She unhooked herself from the machine, taking in a deep breath as a pain shot up from her stomach. She lifted the hem of the shirt and was met with an infected wound on her abdomen. Without her even noticing, someone had entered the room.

"Good, your up. Here are some clothes." The man from the night before had said before noticing the wound of her abdomen. She quickly dropped her shirt down, as he made his way over.

"I used the iratze rune, but it wouldn't work due to the venom. I think my sister got it out of your system though," He told her as he pointed to the wound covered by the shirt. "Here, let me draw it, it should work now."

He made his way over to the bed sitting down on the edge, signalling for her to lay down. She looked uncomfortably at him before laying up. As she sat up, she stirred due to the pain again, and he quickly got up, his stele in his hand. She lifted the edge of the shift up a small bit so he could draw the rune. As he drew it, she took a sharp breath, the stele stinging her side. Once he was finished he put his stele back in his back pocket and took a seat on the bed as Charlie propped herself up as the pain subsided.

"What institute are you from?" He asked affirmatively, filling the uncomfortable silence.

"Paris." She told him. "Well I used to be, I left when I was 17."

"You don't sound French."

"Well," She laughed, trying to make the conversation less formal, "My mother's french, my dad's American, but I've spent most of my time living here and Idris, and my mom didn't have an accent either, she trained in Alicante."

"Why are you undercover? Why did you leave your old institute?" He then asked in an interrogative tone, which showed his inquisitive and untrusting personality.

"Well, you wouldn't believe me." She smirked at him trying to lighten the mood, causing him to let out a long sigh.

"Look, I'll have to report you to the Clave if you don't tell me anything, and you know how they deal with things."

"What's your name?" She asked trying to change the conversation and failing miserably.

"Alec. Now answer the question" He said, in a more demanding tone this time. Charlie sat on the bed quietly, not wanting to reveal the answer, as she knew it would bring back the memories of her mother, ones she didn't want to relive.

After a minutes silence, he huffed before getting off the bed, but what Charlie said made him stop in his tracks.

"It was Valentine. He killed my mother, I left in case he would come back for me, to finish the job."