Chapter 3

Carbone strolls to Jaiden and I with a calculated measure. He gawks at us like we were vermin. Being the House Leader is a position which must be maintained with intimidation. Fear is what keeps the quarrelsome from taking over while it also taps into the weakness of others.

 "Well if it isn't Jaiden D'Angelo and his pathetic sidekick, Jude Holland. You two mutts sure know how to stir the pot." His voice is scratchy and grating on the ears.

 "What do you mean by that sir?", I ask.

 Carbone stretches out his finger and touches my neck with the tip of his nail. I let out a gulp.

 "I could easily let the Vulstang go on a rampage again. Surely I don't have to make an example of you?"

 I shake my head. In the corner of my eye I see Jaiden look away with disappointment.

 "You see child, you shouldn't ridicule an adult. I'm sure you're parents would've taught you that by now, for they are fine people who have seem to have mastered the art of child rearing. You on the other hand are a failed prodigy."

 Crazed laughs abound from the crowd. The culprits point at me. A boy about my age prods his finger into my arm. I jerk my head towards him. His friends drag him away from the scene.

 Maybe Carbone's right. Perhaps they have the right to resent me. I'm after all not Jerome Holland. They say that boy could have survived Exterior twice without even trying. It's a pity he broke his neck in a wrestling match. I'm now doing his life sentence. 

 But on the other hand he's wrong. I have been strong enough not become a mindless minion. I'm my own person who has defied nurture, rather than turning me into the psychopaths around me. Luckily the blood which courses through my veins has been able to transform me into a decent human being. That in itself is an achievement which many in this House cannot reach.

"I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one." I say. "But since I disrespected you, I would like to apology for my inappropriate behaviour. It won't happen again almighty House leader."

 Jaiden nudges me in the ribs. "What are you doing?", he whispers.

 I ignore him and bow my head at Carbone.

 "Good boy, I suppose the pedigree of the Holland's does have some existence in you. Is there anything else you would like to say?"

 He arches his neck forward with his hands behind his back. His eyes flicker across my body looking for any sign of deceit.

 "No sir, I have nothing else to say."

 Carbone takes in a deep breath then claps his hands together above his ear.

"Very well, let the fanfare continue."

 Carbone starts to walk in the direction to Flame Square. The crowd comes to life again. People eagerly push pass me as the try to catch up with him. They follow him like moths attracted to light.

 I look at Jaiden. He screws up his face in ugly directions.

 "You may as well have rolled over for him", he scolds. "Once again my pep talks do nothing."

 "I did what I had to do." I drop my lip and shrug my shoulders.

 If only he understood the importance of submission. I know I'm over submissive but my experiences with my parents have taught me when to pick my battles. 

 Jaiden buries his head into his palm. He looks up and turns his head to the crowd. A crumpled smile gathers in the corner of his mouth

"I better go, I'll meet you there", he says in a sombre tone.