Chapter 2

Out of all the families and the other twelves Houses I could've belonged to kismet, the essence which determines everything, has decided I should suffer at the hands of Vance and Juanita Holland. I had no choice in this matter as just like most people, I was stripped from my biological parents the moment I was born. Since I was born in April, I was taken to the Inferno. If I were born in the same month as my biological parents I could have stayed with them.

 I often wonder what would happen if I ended up elsewhere. Perhaps I wouldn't cry myself to sleep or maybe I would know what it's like to have mother and father who truly love you; the type who would lay their life on the line for you without hesitation. It's a good dream when your reality is a mess, especially when your father loves to annoy you.

 "Jaiden's at the door", he sighs.

 I grab the side of my bed and try to hoist myself up. The mattress buckles under my weight. I stumble and land on my right arm. I notice red blotches on the floorboards from where I landed. I touch my arm. Blood coats the tip of my fingers. It's almost the same colour as my bedroom walls.

 "Are you alright? I should have helped you."  A smirk creeps from the side of his face.

 "I am fine. I hope you are happy with yourself."

 He laughs. The same sick laugh I heard when he was threatening me with his baton. It's a tune that never escapes my head.

"I am happy you have learnt that no matter what day it is you have to respect me and your mother. After all we have given you everything." His tone of voice is condescending like my mother. If they weren't married you would swear they're blood related.

 'You have got to be kidding me.' I purse my lips and shake my head.

 It feels like we about to fight again. I am like a geyser waiting to burst from the icy cold ground. My mouth is dry. My hands are sweaty. My heart is beating hard against my chest. I close my eyes and imagine he is not there. I take in deep breaths to calm my nerves. It seems to work every time.

 "Oh dear Jude.  Surely I am not that hard to resist?"

 I could easily lash out at him. It's what he wants. It allows him to beat me and over and over again. He knows he can get away with it as the Inferno allows violence to be used against disobedient children. What they deem disobedient is determined by the parents. The Inferno are renowned for taking violence to the extreme. I'm proof of it.

 I open my eyes. He is leaning towards me pointing to his chin.

"Go on son. Make my day", he teases.

 I sigh, what a fool. "I don't care to fight with you old man. If you are that desperate for a brawl I'm sure my Mother would be up for it."

 "Oh yeah," he pushes out his chest like an ape. "I rather use you as my punching bag'." Evil returns to his eyes. "It has sure been fun belting you...over and over again."

"You're words are nothing to me", I snap back. It's good to say it even if I don't believe it. I brush past him and storm out of the room.

 I march down the hallway. My feet thud against the floorboards. It makes the same bellowing noise that my father made as he rushed into to help my mother.

 Just like every room in the house, the walls are crimson red. No furniture can be seen, only the walls mixed with the incoming light. The Inferno believe red should always be the highlight. Less is more, or in their case red is more.

 Above me is a transparent ceiling that allows the sunlight to venture throughout the household. It doesn't stretch into my room; it helps to compound the terrible experiences I've had in there. That's why when I exit my room I am set free. The hallway acts like a passage allowing endless possibilities. But this isn't always the case.