Chapter 1

Red is an important colour; it represents who we are and what we stand for.

Whether it's the walls that keep us safe from the outside world, the Exterior, or whether it's the clothes that we wear, the colour red constantly reminds us of who we are, the Inferno.

 Our purpose in life is to discover a passion. Once it's found, we must hold onto it like it's the only thing worth living for. We aim to find it before we turn sixteen and announce it on Blaze- the birthday of every Inferno member.

 Sadly this has not been the case for me.

 Today I will have to reveal my passion to everyone. The thought of it makes my stomach churn. Pacing up and down my bedroom has only made it worse. The crimson red walls that surround me don't make it any easier either.

 I try to distract myself by staring at the mirror next to my bed.  There I stand. I have almond shaped eyes and a small nose. My skin is tanned and my hair is dark and wavy.

 I wear a red silk robe that falls from my shoulders to my toes. It exposes my forearms. They are darker in comparison to the rest of my body. They're not hidden from the world. Uncoloured and untouched. Free from the influence of the Inferno.

 I turn away from the mirror. My movements are followed by the sensation of silk on my skin. It feels unnatural.

 I glance at the dragon that's carved at the bed head. It's  bold, one that's fierce. It has teeth as sharp as swords and scales protruding from its spine, like jagged rocks that pierce my mind and expose my insecurities. 

 I want to cry but I know that I must act like nothing is wrong and be swept up in the splendour of the day.

 I direct my attention to the polished floorboards that are beneath me. Finally my nerves begin to calm down.

 A knock on my door breaks my trance.

 "Jude, are you ready?" My mother, her voice is filled with excitement for today.

 "Ahh sure", I stammer.

"That didn't sound convincing son. It sounds like you're concerned about something." She's right though I mustn't let her know what it is.

 "Just let it be, I'm fine." 

"Jude let me in. We need to talk," she says.

"Trust me I'm fine just let me be," I protest.

 "I know you're not fine. Please open the door."  Her voice becomes louder.

 "No."

 "Open your door this instant! She's desperate to know what I'm hiding. I now know she won't relent. I don't care, it was always going to lead to this.

 Without hesitation I bolt to the opposite side of the room. Below a window is a red cushion armchair. I take a deep breath and yank it off the wall. I drive my shoulder into the back of it.  I begin to move it towards the door. My legs strain and my back aches. The chair sounds shrill against the floorboards.

I look up. I am half way there. But it's too late.

 The door is the wide open. 

 My mother stands there with her arms folded. I attempt to shove the chair at her but she forces her way inside pushing me next to the end of the bed. I grunt and turn away from her charcoal eyes that scan the sour look on my face. She lurks around me like a vulture bidding it's time. Finally our eyes meet. She has a short, scrawny figure. Her head is covered with long brown hair. She wears the same red robe as me.